Zucchini Cheese Fritters Recipe:
They had never been a favorite with us and I had never really cared to cook Zucchini at home until recently. Frankly it was only a part of our dining out menus, that too when they came alongside our main order, as an ingredient or an add-on. But how long could have I ignored those absolutely beautiful yellow and green, succulent looking vegetables that have started appearing in such abundance across all stores and even vegetable carts around our City. Looking at the abundance that they are available in nowadays I wonder if at all they are imported, as claimed by the veggie vendor for a justification to high price.
Anyway, now that I have discovered a taste in Zucchini I do realize what I’ve been missing. Apart from being good on taste they are also low on calories and a good source of Folate, Potassium and Vitamin A. They are quite good in soups (check- Spicy Chicken Thupka Recipe), salads or as stuffing, well that’s all I’ve tried so far and I know there’s still a lot to be explored.
Today I made these cheesy Zucchini Fritters, they turned out really nice and we enjoyed it as snacks with our evening tea. My recipe is actually inspired by a cheese, vegetables and noodle fritters mummy used to make us and call it “veg-cheese balls ” ; I would sure share its recipe one of these days as well. With my own variation here’s the recipe to my Zucchini Cheese Fritters, do try it and I am sure you will love it.
Ingredients (Makes 8 med size fritters- Serves 2):
- ½ of each green & yellow Zucchini (approx 250 gms weighed together)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 4 small spring onions , fine diced along with just 2 inches of greens
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 and ½ tablespoon all purpose flour
- Brown bread crumbs
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Hard Cheddar
- Olive oil for frying
For the dip:
- Hung curd
- I burnt garlic , crushed
- Lemon juice
- Grate both yellow and green zucchini together using the large hole of the garter.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and mix well. Now remove all the excess water from the grated Zucchini by either wringing in a cotton cloth or pressing against a colander or simply hard press between the palms of your hand together.
- Take this water drained Zucchini in a bowl and add spring onions, a little grated ginger. Crush garlic and green chili together using a mortar & pestle and add to the mixture. Mix well and check if it needs more salt, do add some more.
- Now add both the flour and make mix together into a thick Zucchini batter. Finally grate a lot of Cheddar, about 2 small cubes and mix well into the batter.
- Divide the batter into eight equal parts and make rectangular shaped fritters of each bunch by molding over your palm and shaping with fingers.
- Carefully pick each fritter and first dip into the beaten egg and then generously roll into the bread crumbs spread in a flat plate. If the shape gets distorted while doing this do not panic, simply place it on a plate sprinkled with some bread crumbs and re-shape using your hands.
- Once all the fritters are finally covered in bread crumbs, cover the plate with Cling Film and freeze for about 20 minutes. You can totally fry it immediately and serve, but freezing helps retain the shape as it hardens the fritters.
- Heat some oil for shallow frying in a thick bottomed skillet. Fry each frozen fritter till they are golden brown on both sides by simmering the flame in between for 4-5 minutes. Drain on a kitchen paper towel.
- Serve hot with readymade mayo-dip or with my hung curd dip by mixing all the ingredients given above together with required quantity of water.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do try my recipe with your own choice of cheese or absolutely without any cheese if you like.
- Do add more herbs to the batter if you want flavoring.
- Also, I guess it would be worth trying without breadcrumbs altogether.
- Don’t leave water on the Zucchini else the batter will not hold firm.
- Do leave on a simmered flame while frying the fritters else the fritters may remain uncooked inside.