Zucchini and Tofu Stir Fry (Thai Style) Recipe:
I had half of each yellow and green Zucchini leftover from my yesterday’s recipe of Zucchini Cheese Fritters and they needed to be used up before they lose their freshness. I don’t like to keep fresh fruits or vegetables in my fridge tray beyond two or three days, so I buy in small quantities and consume them in different recipes back to back. Well, today I also had in stock some Tofu, red bell peppers and a bottle of Thai red-curry paste, bought during grocery shopping early this month. That meant I had all the ingredients in place to relive my Thai experince of a spicy warm salad, so I prepared this easy and delicious recipe that on its own can be enjoyed as a warm salad or served as a side to the maincourse.
Since I was serving it alongside our dinner tonight , I did the stir fry version by frying a little longer and adding an extra dollop of Thai curry paste against what I would do for the salad. Also I’d squeeze some lime juice if I were having it as a salad. Adding some fresh basil leaves would also be a great idea, unfortunately i was out of stock on it today but my recipe did manage pretty well nonetheless. Here’s an absolutely strongly flavored recipe to my Zucchini and Tofu Stir Fry.
- 200 gms tofu (soya paneer), cut to small cubes
- 1 cup diced yellow and green zucchini (approx 250 gms together), cut to small cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced to small square pieces
- 2 medium spring onion, split and sliced along with half of its greens
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, fine diced
- 1 tablespoon fine diced raw green mangoes
- Little fine diced ginger, approx ½ teaspoon
- 2 dry whole red chili
- ½ tablespoon Thai Red-curry paste
- 1 teaspoon coconut powder
- 2 tablespoon oil for cooking`
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and sauté tofus till it turns light brown, strain and keep aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the same frying pan; add the whole red chili and cumin seed and then the diced garlic.
- Fry for a few seconds till the garlic turns golden, then add spring onions fry for a minute.
- Add yellow and green Zucchini followed by the bell peppers and diced mangoes. Add salt to taste, mix well, cover with a lid and simmer cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the sautéed tofu and fry on medium flame for a minute.
- Add the Thai red-curry paste, ginger and stir well. Sprinkle just a little water, about 3-4 tablespoon, cover and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Remove lid, add the coconut powder and fry for another minute or two on high flame.
- Strain in a bowl, dress with a little coconut powder, basil leaf (sad :- ( I didn’t have it ) and serve warm.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do away with the green mangoes if you don’t like the extra tang.
- Add some fresh basil leaves just before taking off the flame.
- Don’t fry or cook too long for its best served when still a little crunchy.