Zucchini and Onion Muffins with Olive Oil Recipe:
Healthy, whole wheat, zucchini, spring onion, no butter salted muffin, a perfect gift for a Diabetic.
It was my first take at baking a savoury muffin and since I was making it for the most special woman in my life, I had to make sure that my recipe was special too. Only after much contemplation I zeroed on to this recipe, it did require an entire load of thought for after all they were to be taste-approved by the very person whom I’ve learned everything from, my mother.
A year back mom too joined the ever growing diabetic club so I had to make a savoury dish, although I had never done it before a savoury muffin it was this time. it’s good to go beyond one’s known territory once in a while for it simply re-instates one’s trust in one’s own self. Moving over from my philosophy (or what he loves to call ‘GYAN’), the muffins as it turned out was a smart decision. It had no sugar, no butter but rather Olive oil and whole wheat flour, therefore making it a perfect diabetic indulgence that’s absolutely healthy and low on cholesterol too. Finally, Incase you have doubts about their not rising or not being soft do look at the pics and take my word for neither happened. It was savoury, soft and spongy with hint of good extra virgin olive oil, pepper and oregano intact.
Ingredients (Makes 10 regular size muffins):
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking pwd
- ½ tsp bi carbonate of Sodium
- 1 cup grated Zucchini
- ½ cup fine diced up spring onions, approx 2 medium spring onions along with greens
- 1/4th cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup grated soft cheese (Ricotta, Feta or even our Indian Creamy Cottage Cheese- I used have ricotta half Paneer)
- ½ cup butter milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp oregano, chopped if fresh (I had only dried ones)
- ½ tsp pepper pwd
- Preheat the oven to 180OC. Grease or line the muffin tins with a little olive oil.
- Sift both the flours with baking powder and soda, mix salt. Then add the grated zucchini and spring onions and mix well, use your hand if required.
- In a food processor blend butter milk, eggs, olive oil and cheese together until they are well combined. Stir in the oregano and pepper, then add this mixture to the above flour mixture and just fold everything together. Taste for salt, tip in a couple of pinches more if required.
- Scoop into the muffin cups and bake at 180OC for approx 20 mins, until the top is slightly browned and a tooth pick comes out clean through the middle. Allow to rest on the wired rack for 5-10 mins and enjoy with a little cream cheese spread.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Just as always do not whip the batter, only fold gently till everything combines.
- I’d have also added a few chopped black olives but unfortunately my mom doesn’t like black olives.
You may also like;