Watermelon and Ricotta Salad Recipe:
A summer special, watermelon, red onion, olives,salad rocket and ricotta salad with minimalistic dressing.
If the combination sounds incredible, I won’t blame you for when I had heard of it first I thought quite the same myself. However, no sooner did I try my first watermelon salad with olives and cheese my doubts were put to rest forever. Often what appears to be the most improbable turns out to be most fantastic, and this one recipe is a perfect example to quote.
The contrasting flavours of sweet watermelon paired with the pungent salad rocket, soft depth of ricotta, richness of black olives, crunch of red onions and a generous drizzle of lemon juice, cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil makes it into a light, perfectly balanced summer salad. I almost gave out the entire recipe already but read on to find the measurements and step by step instructions and I can assure you if you make it once you’ll never stop making it every summer of your life.
Ps:- This is an absolutely awesome Salad for weight watchers, and incase you are wondering what about all the Cheese, let me share with you a fact- Ricotta is a naturally low fat cheese with fat content no more than 5 % and the natural sweetness from watermelon requires no extra sugar for dressing making it absolutely Guilt Free.
Ingredients (Serves 1 for main course and 2 for starters):
- 750 gms Watermelon (I got a 1.5 kg fruit and used ½ of it, sorry for the weird measurement )
- 2 bunch of Salad Rocket or Arugula or any other Salad leaves ( approx 150 gms), thick stems removed and cleaned
- 1 small onion (red), peeled halved and finely cut into half-circle strips
- Some black pitted olives, as per your taste
- 70-80 gms soft Ricotta (Try Impero available across Gourmet stores these days)
- Juice of 1 lemon, 4 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse Salt and pepper to dress.
- Black salt or Kala namak or grey rock salt
- In your salad mixing bowl first dress the onion with half the lemon juice and keep aside.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing Cider vinegar, olive oil, remaining lemon juice , salt and pepper together untill they emulsify.
- Now, add cleaned salad rocket to the onion and dress with some salt and toss together. Then, either cut the watermelons into small bite size cubes or scoop into small balls using a fruit scooper and add it to the salad rocket followed by olives and the dressing.
- Genteelly toss the salad together with your hands, add a load of coarsely crushed pepper and a generous sprinkle of black salt as per your taste.
- Finally add crumbled ricotta, give a very gentle toss and what else, simply grab the bowl or serve in salad dish and enjoy the refreshing flavours.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Just don’t add ricotta right at the beginning and go tossing for that will break the soft cheese away.
- Also, do use a seedless variety of watermelon as far as possible, otherwise do remove the seed before cutting or scooping.
You may also like;