Veg Pizza Bites Recipe:
I woke up this morning to a realization that it has been only about Chicken in my kitchen for a lot many days now. My head, tongue and tummy in chorus reminded me of my step-motherly treatment towards my veggie-taste buds. So with due respect to their desire, I’ve decided to do some justice to my vegan palate and enjoy some of my favorite homemade vegetarian delights. As a matter of fact I quite equally ardently love all vegetarian food or “Ghans Phuns” as my brother would call it.
So, here I present to you my Microwave Pizza Bites Recipe which was an easy choice given that I already had a supply of Cheddar and Mozzarella left from the Mexican Chicken Enchiladas and the Tomato Salsa(Mexican Style) stored in the fridge. Baking a delicious hot cheese loaded pizza with the favorite toppings is really no rocket science, in fact we just need to get our basics right and believe you me I finally learned my basics of baking the right pizza base in a microwave only after several failed attempts. Indeed I could have used a readymade pizza base but remember I try and keep it fresh as far as I can.
My homemade Pizza Bites Recipe with all Veg-toppings(mushroom, onions, olives and loads of cheese)
Ingredients (makes one 8 inch Pizza):
For the dough:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sugar powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For pizza & toppings:
- 1 & ½ tablespoon Pizza Sauce (or 1 tablespoon of my Mexican Tomato Salsa mixed with ½ tablespoon tomato ketchup)
- 3-4 button mushrooms, thin sliced
- 1 medium spring onion, only the bulb part cut into rings
- Some cut olives, I’ve used green ones
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Preparing the Pizza base:
- Dilute the dry yeast in 1 tablespoon of warm water.
- Knead soft dough mixing the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together with water.
- Then add a tablespoon of olive oil and knead again to soft smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and leave for ½ an hour till the dough doubles up.
- Press the dough to release air and roll out into 8 inch flat pizza base. Cut into four triangles
- Preheat the microwave at 220o C , usually the microwaves have a preset time for preheating, incase yours require to set the time heat for 5-6 minutes using oven + grill option.
- Bake the base over a greased dish at 220oC on Convection mode for 5 minutes and the base is ready.
Baking the Pizza:
- Slather the tomato salsa & ketchup mix or the readymade pizza sauce over each pizza base triangle
- Grate a layer of cheddar and arrange the chosen toppings over it.
- Finally top with another thin layer of grated cheddar followed by a whole load of grated Mozzarella (the pizza cheese).
- Spray or slightly brush some olive oil at the top and again preheat the oven as before.
- Bake the pizza bites at 220o C for 6-8 minutes on the convection mode on the high rack.
- Enjoy the hot pizza bites seasoned with chili flakes & oregano.
Dos and Don’ts:
- This one’s obvious isn’t it- Choose any topping of your choice.
- Bake a whole round pizza if you like; I just wanted to do it differently this time.
- Use double the quantity of fresh yeast for the dough if you have it.
- Don’t overdo the baking as it will make your bread hard.
- Some choose to bake at a very high temperature, but I talk from my experience that higher temperature makes the bread elastic instead of soft.