Twisted Bread-sticks Recipe:
A mildly spiced fresh bread sticks that makes a perfect bite with soups or your favorite dips.
Freshly baked breads and cakes are usually a delight at my home but this time I got an inspiration to try my hand on one of the baked beauties I had for my Sunday brunch in a restaurant. So my quest began, well the dough was almost similar to the bread dough which I prepared number of times but just giving them a twisted shape makes them handy and much prettier.
They go best with dips like hummus, cream cheese, also get along with soups, and could be served as canapés when prepared in mini form or just eat with plain simple butter or margarine.
Try out these beauties and I bet you will never go for the store bought!
Ingredients (Makes 15 medium bread sticks):
- Whole wheat flour- 2 cups
- All-purpose flour- 1 ½ cups
- Dry Active yeast- 1 tbsp
- Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Butter- 2tbsp
- Milk- 1 cup + 3 tbsp
- Water- ½ cups
- Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dry parsley (optional)- 1 tsp each
- Take yeast in a dry clean bowl, add 1 tbsp sugar and then lukewarm milk/water (as per directions given on packet) and let it sit until it is bubbly.
- Mix flours, salt, remaining sugar and yeast and then knead dough using milk & water.
- When the dough is roughly kneaded, add butter and knead it well until it is smooth and non-sticky.
- Now cover it with cellophane and let it rise for 30 min or place it in refrigerator if want to use it next day.
- Take the dough again after it has risen and divide it into 8 equal sections using a knife. Roll each of the small sections at the sides into long thick strings and you can further divide the bigger sections into half. Now join both end of the strings and roll from the other end as indicated in the pic.
- Now place each twisted piece into a greased baking tray keeping some gap between each and let it rest for 30 minutes. I prepared it in two batches as my baking tray was almost full after placing 9 of them, remaining 6 were baked later.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degree Centigrade. Brush each piece of bread with milk and sprinkle some poppy seeds, black sesame and parsley on top.
- Now keep the breadsticks in oven for 15 minutes or until they start browning.
- Enjoy freshly baked hot breadsticks or cold with soup/ butter/ margarine or just like that!!
You may also like;