Tomato Rice Recipe:
South Indian origin, tangy Tomato Rice makes a great one-dish meal.
Tomato rice is not only tasty and flavorful; but it is also very simple to prepare. It is one of the South Indian way of rice preparations. The most important ingredients are tomatoes and rice. Toting up of mint and coriander leaves gives a nice aroma to the dish. And not to overlook that freshly ground masala always make a difference.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 6-8 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Capsicum
- 3 Bay leaves
- 12-15 Curry Leaves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- Cook basmati rice with 4 cups of water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a kadai and add cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, star anise.
- Add onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add green chillies and ginger- garlic paste. Sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add capsicum and sauté for few more minutes.
- Then add tomato puree, coriander leaves, mint leaves, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Cook till oil separates.
- Add the cooked rice to the tomato gravy and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with papads, potato chips or raita.
Dos and Don’ts:
- For more flavor you can add boiled potatoes, fresh green peas and other vegetables.