Tomato Chicken Recipe:
A hot, tangy boneless Chicken in a mellow tomato based gravy.
If you love the tanginess of tomato, the punch of red chilies and are a Chicken lover, there this tomato chicken recipe is a must try. It’s a semi-dry chicken dish, goes perfectly well with hot rotis (indian flat bread) or you can simply have it as a snack as well. Just remember to use the boneless version for the snack.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 450 grams of chicken, cleaned,
- Freshly pound garam masala ( 2 cloves, 3 cardamoms, 3 small cinnamon sticks, 1 black cardamom and 1 star anise or chakri phool)
- 3-4 small tomatoes, pureed,
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste,
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced,
- 4 tbsp of freshly chopped coriander,
- 1 tbsp of green chilies, finely chopped,
- 1 ½ tsp of red chili powder,
- Salt to taste,
- 2-3 tsp of oil,
- 1 tsp of tomato ketchup,
- 1 tsp of red hot chili sauce
- In a kadai (wok) fry the sliced onions until light brown.
- Into this add, the ginger-garlic paste and fry for another minute or two, before adding half of the freshly pound garam masala. Make sure the garam masala is not the readymade version, but handmade as the aromas lend a distinct flavor to the chicken later.
- After frying for a minute, add the chicken pieces and make sure that they have been coated well in the pound spices. Now cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder and salt at this stage. Mix well and once again cover and cook the chicken, until well done. Normally, it takes 20-25 minutes to completely get the chicken laced in the sauce. Add a little water if needed.
- Finally, add the tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, the remaining garam masala powder, green chilies and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- I personally loved it with rotis, however you can try it as it is and enjoy!