Thin Crust Pan Pizza Recipe:
Tortilla base Crispy Pizza with Sweet Corn, Black Olives and Basil as topping.
We at our home love thin crust pizzas but they are amazing only when served hot, straight out of the oven for otherwise it loses its delicious crunch, the very reason that makes it such a winner. I wonder how many of you have tried using tortillas as the base for your thin crust pizza. Yes, they work amazing, in fact it is no less than a perfect fit that makes pizza making almost a child’s play. We really enjoyed this cheese loaded pizza made over a gas top on a thick skillet with only minimal topping. Give it a try yourself and be amazed, here’s the recipe.
Ingredients (Makes two 9” pizza, Serves 2-3):
For the Pizza Base & Toppings:
- 2 Flour Tortilla bases, I use the El Passo 9” flour tortillas.
- 8-10 pitted black olives, cut to thin rings
- 2 tablespoon sweet corn, I’ve Green Giant canned sweet corn
- 10 large basil leaves, roughly torn
- A cup and half of grated each Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese, in the ratio 6:4.
- Olive Oil
For theTomato Pizza Salsa:
- 2/3 rd cup or 150 gms thick tomato puree
- 4 cloves of garlic, fine diced
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Red paprika
- Olive oil
Pizza Tomato Salsa:
- Add a few drops of olive oil to a sauce pan, add the garlic and put on the stove. Sauté garlic till golden and then add other ingredients leaving butter and oregano.
- Simmer and let it reduce to a thick creamy texture, then add butter and oregano, mix well and take off the stove, the salsa is done.,
- In a thick and flat bottom skillet or frying pan squirt some olive oil, put over the stove and once it is just warm add a tortilla and turn down the heat to its lowest.
- Flip it over in 30 sec or 1min, Leave the stove on simmer and dress up your pizza while still on the stove.
- Now follow this step very quickly, first generously slather the thick tomato salsa all over the tortilla base, about two heaped tablespoon, then add 1/4th of the grated cheese over it, follow up with half of each toppings and finally another 1/4th cheese.
- Keep the flame on simmer, cover up the pan with a lid and cook till the cheese melts, it would take only 2-4 minutes. Remove the lid and carefully check the base must have turned crisp already, turn off the stove. Repeat the process for the second tortilla also.
- Simply cut into slices using your pizza knife and season with your choice of herb and enjoy the hot thin crust cheese loaded pizza.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Of course, choose your toppings as you like.
- Do replace the tomato puree with 4 blanched tomatoes, and cook till you get the required texture.
- Do not burn the tortilla’s outer crust, be careful and keep the stove always on simmer. If required just take your pan off the stove while arranging the toppings.