Thick Tomato Salsa (Mexican style) Recipe:
Ingredients (Makes a medium size bowl full):
- 5 large Tomatoes – medium ripe, chopped
- 1 medium size Charred Onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves Charred Garlic, chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 6-7 springs of chopped green coriander
- Salt & black pepper powder
- A teaspoon of olive oil
- Place the Onion and garlic cloves over a hot griddle without peeling.
- Once the onion and garlic is charred to golden-black, remove from the flame and peel once cooled.
- Blend all the ingredients together in a grinder to make a coarse paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the mixture and reduce the mixture on low flame.
- Stir occasionally till the sauce is thick and creamy in texture, remove from the flame and the sauce is ready.
Store the Thick Tomato Salsa in a glass container and enjoy as a dip with your favorite chips or bread or my Mexican Chicken Enchiladas.
It can be consumed within a week when refrigerated in an air tight glass container.
Dos & Don’ts:
- Do skip the garlic if you wish.
- If you are planning to use it as a dip to be consumed same day, simply crush the ingredients together instead of blending, add a dollop of extra virgin olive oil and enjoy as a dip. No reducing over flame is required, I made the paste a bit less coarse for I wanted to use it to slather over my Mexican Chicken Enchiladas.
- Char the onion and garlic nicely till it gives a smoky and juicy texture to them.
- Don’t make a very fine paste, it is better enjoyed thick & coarse.