Tandoori Pomfret Fry Recipe:
Whole pomfret fish when cooked with the tandoori masala makes an irresistible recipe.
The pomfret or what some call the butter fish is one of my favourite varieties in the sea food, not that I have a longstanding experience with sea food but I really enjoy cooking and experimenting with flavours of fishes now, and this tandoori pomfret fry recipe is a stunner. Imagine from being someone who never tried seafood until a year or two back for I felt its smell was too overpowering to becoming a seafood lover. It was for sheer health reasons that I gave it a go and rest is story now, for you’d yourself notice how often I’ve been cooking (which obviously also mean eating) fish, like this one here, here and here.
Anyhow, most of you would have relished a Goan style or a regular Southern Indian spicy pomfret fry dish while travelling across our Indian coastline but paring it with a typical North Indian tandoori spices added an unexpected delectable twist to the pomfret fry recipe. It’s a must try and highly recommended if you like to eat whole fishes.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 2 whole pomfret fish, about 200 gms each
- 1 tbsp thick curd, hung for a few hours
- 1 & ½ tbsp Chickpeas flour (Beasn)
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric pwd
- ½ tsp red chilli pwd
- ½ tsp Kashmiri/Deggi Mirch pwd
- 1 tsp Coriander pwd
- ¼ tsp Garam masala pwd
- ½ tsp Carom seed (ajwain)
- 2 tbsp oil for shallow frying plus 1 tbsp for marinade
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh salad and lime wedges to serve
- Clean the pomfret fish and make deep incision across the fish on both side about 1 inch apart. Smaer with the lemon juice and salt and crushed pepper and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Now dry roast the chickpeas flour in a small pan until just fragrant but the colour does not change.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chilli, kashmiri chilli, coriander pwd together in a bowl. Then mix in the carom seed, garam masala pwd, 1 tbsp oil and the roasted chickpeas flour.
- Marinate the pomfret in this spice mixture for 15 mins.
- Heat remaining oil in a non stick pan and fry the marinated fish along with all the marinade for 3-4 mins on each side on a med-high flame, until the marinade & skin turns golden and the fish is cooked through.
- Serve hot with a fresh crunchy salad of your choice and lime wedges.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Be careful while flipping the fish as once it is tender it may break away, so carefully lift and flip in one quick movement.
- Adjust chillies to taste in the marinade.