Taco Chaat Recipe:
Quintessential Indian street food, the ‘Chaat’ gets a modern makeover in this Taco Chaat recipe.
After a break that seems like ages, and since I am out of excuses, I’ve decided to first bribe you with a lip smacking Taco Chaat recipe today. And then ofcourse share the reason, truth is I was unwell for one part of the period of absence and the other part was spent being lazy. Not that there’s nothing been cooking in the kitchen (that’s not possible, you know it), but they’ve mostly been about a quick something without any patience of clicking picture to blog about.
But since I know that enough is enough, I finally pulled the lazy bum out of hibernation and decided to start afresh with some bang and the Indian chaat serves the purpose just right. Our indigenous tangy, peppy chaats are irresistible, anytime and when it gets a fused with the Mexican taco shells, its sure worth a try. I made this for my mom last month and it was taken quite well, so thats a testimony to the fact that the recipe holds together quite well and by the look of it I am sure you’d agree it deserves making to the next snack party table.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3, Makes 6 Tacos):
- 6 ready to use taco shells, try Salsalito available at most gourmet store
- 2 med Potato, boiled and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ½ cup sweet corn, blanched
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 small green chilli, chopped, optional
- ¾ cup Curd, beaten
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp roasted cumin pwd plus extra to sprinkle
- Chaat masala to sprinkle (available at Indian grocery stores)
- Kala Namak to sprinkle
- 1/2 tsp Smoked red Chili pwd plus extra to sprinkle
- Some coriander to garnish
For the Imli Chutney (Tamrind Sauce):
- 2 tbsp Tamind Pulp
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp roasted cumin pwd
- ½ tsp smoked red chilli pwd
For the Green Chutney:
- Start by preparing the two chutneys, keep them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl take the chopped potatoes, onion, green chilies and sweetcorn. Toss them and dress with some salt.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp roasted cumin pwd, 1/2 tsp chilli pwd and mix well. Then add 1 heaped tbsp of the prepared green chutney and mix everything well.
- To assemble, scoop the potato filling into each taco shell, then add about 1 tbsp curd on top, follow up with little drops of green chutney and about 1 tsp of tamrind sauce (Imli chutney).
- Then sprinkle some chaat masala, kala namak, cumin pwd and chilli pwd, top up with a sprig of mint and serve with extra tamarind sauce, curd & green chutney on the side.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do not make this in advance and keep it, for it will go soggy.
- You may prepare the sauces a day or 2 in advance and the potato filling upto a few hours, but make sure to assemble just before serving.
- Adjust spices to your liking