Sweet and Sour Okra Recipe:
A traditional Maharashtrian Okra (Bhindi) Curry made with tamrind.
This is a Maharashtrian dish prepared on occasions or unless the incumbents of the household believe in eating only authentic Maharashtrian food. This is eaten in the interiors of Maharashtra and is not so popular in the coastal areas where they prefer general Tawa fry Bhindi with little spices. Will put that dish some other day. But for today let’s see how to make the sweet n sour Bhindi my style.:)
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 500 gms Bhindi
- 2 Large Onions
- 2 Tablespoon Red chili powder
- 2 Tablespoon Cumin powder
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander powder
- A pinch of Hing
- 1/2 cup juice Tamarind
- 1/2 cup liquid Jaggery
- 5-6 Dates (optional)
- Fresh coriander
- Cut Bhindi (Lady Finger) in 2. Take 500 gms of total Bhindi.
- Heat a Pan, Add Mustard seeds. Once they splutter add onion and curry leaves.
- Fry till onion becomes Translucent.
- Add turmeric and red chili on pan and fry.
- Add Cumin and coriander powder 2 tablespoon each and cook in open pan.
- Add a pinch of Hing for flavor.
- Add bhindi and stir well. Cover and cook well for 10 mins.
- Add tamarind juice 1/2 cup and ½ cup Jaggery mix.
- Add salt as per taste and stir well for 2 mins.
- Serve hot after garnishing with Raw chili and Raw Bhindi (for garnish) and fresh coriander.
You may also like;