Sugar free Lemon Curd Cupcakes Recipe:
Diabetic friendly fluffy and delicious Cupcakes with lemon Curd topping.
I baked these Saugarfree Lemon Curd cupcakes for my Aunt as a birthday surprise, while it is another story that it was I who got the surprise as she was not in town . Though quite a dud but I actually do not mind it for the entire batch of the lemon curd cupcakes is for us to relish now. Wow, but a voice in the head says ‘mind those calories girl’ and then I smile and tell myself, where are the calories- it’s sugar free. But then do not be misguided by my excuses for indulgence, it is fully calorie packed, how about the butter, the eggs, the flour. So, yes it is diabetic friendly as I have replaced sugar with ‘Sugarfree’ but not diet friendly, but then since when did we start expecting ‘Cupcakes’ to be healthy. It is pure indulgence, so let’s just enjoy the blissful lemony soft cupcakes and leave all worries for tomorrow, remember some genius said- “Life’s too short let’s eat the dessert first”.
Ingredients (makes 10):
- 1 and ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking pwd
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon jest, 1 tbsp aprox
- ¼ cup juice of lemon
- 5 tbsp SugarFree Natura Diet Sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup butter milk
- 2 tbsp of lemon curd (recipe below)
For the Lemon Curd:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup lemo juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
The Lemon Curd:
- In a heatproof bowl bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended.
- Cook, stirring constantly with a handheld whisk or wooden spatula to prevent it from curdling, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the butter slowly until a sooth consistency is reached.
- Transfer the curd to a bowl, allow to cool a little and the cover with a plastic wrap and keep in the freezer to chill.
- Preheat the oven to a 180OC and grease or line the muffin cups and keep aside.
- Sift the flour with, baking pwd, baking soda and salt. Then mix the entire sugar free into the flour, followed by the lemon zest and keep aside.
- Now blend the eggs, butter separately using a handheld electric blender or in your food processor until they almost smoothly combine, then add 2 tbsp of the lemon curd and blend until it combines into a smooth mixture.
- Add the egg and butter mixture to the flour mixture and gently fold together using a rubber or wooden spatula. Now mix the lemon juice with the butter milk and slowly and gradually add the butter milk (in 3-4 batch) into the batter and mix gently. Do not whisk, just slowly fold.
- Scoop this batter into 10 muffin moulds (upto 2/3 the height of each mould) and bake for 20-25 mins on the centre of the oven or until a toothpick comes out cline from the centre of the cupcake.
- Allow to cool on the wired rack, top up with the lemon curd (use your piping bag if you have one and decorate the top with the lemon curd) and enjoy the lemony deliciousness.
Sugar Free Lemon Curd Cupcakes
Dos and Don’ts:
- Like always do not whip the cake batter, just gently fold.
- Make sure the lemon curd has completely thickened before removing it from the heat on the double boiler.
- Also you may replace butter milk with sour cream.
- If not using Sugarfree, simply blend the castor sugar with eggs and butter and follow the other steps. Approx ½ cup castor sugar should be enough.