Stuffed Capsicum with Cheesy Potato Recipe:
Red and Yellow bell peppers stuffed with a cheesy potato filling, for a delicious snacking.
A simple recipe but quite a rewarding one when it comes to taste and visual appeal. The stuffed capsicum with cheesy potato recipe will make a a great addition to any dinner table, or even as an evening snack on its own.
Now about what has gone inside the stuffing is a lot of cheese, mashed potatoes flavoured with caramelised onions, garlic, paprika, fresh coriander and salt and pepper. The delicious cheesy potato melts into the mouth and its slight crispy top makes this stuffed capsicum with cheesy potato recipe a perfect bite.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 2 large capsicum, I use a red & yellow but you may use any, green , yellow, red
- 3-4 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- ¾ cup grated Cheese, parmesan or Cheddar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Corn flour
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2tbsp & 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a small frying pan and sauté garlic to a crispy pink colour. Then add the onions and fry on a medium flame until nicely caramelised and browned.
- Add the caramelised onions to the potato mash along with red chilli flakes, chopped coriander and salt to taste and mix well.
- Then mix the grated cheese along with the cournflour and mix well, the mixture should be bind enough to hold as tikkis or patties. Add a little extra corn flour if required.
- Now cut of the stem of the capsicums, remove all the seed. Cut each hollow capsicum into 4 round rings, aprox an inch in thickness.
- Now divide the potato filling into 8 equal parts, make each into a ball and fill the hollow capsicum with the filling by genteelly pressing it flat over a clean work surface.
- Then heat remaining olive oil and butter together in a large frying pan and shallow fry each stuffed capsicum untill the filling is browned and crisp on each side and the capsicum has slightly softened. This should take about 2-3 mins on each side.
- Drain on kitchen tissue and serve hot with a chilli mayo dip or even the spicy green chutney (here is the recipe).
Dos and Don’ts:
- It’s a simple one and needs no great skill.. Just add herbs or spices to your own liking and try the recipe.
- Oh and you can even put it on a hot grill and grill until it is golden browned on both sides.
- Okay, you may also fill up the stuffing first into the capsicum cup and then slice it with a sarp knife.