Stuffed Bell Pepper with Rice and Shrimps
I know I know, I had resolved to pamper my veggie palate for next few days but do excuse me a small detour. Actually I was cajoled into buying these Shrimps by the grocery attended, he kept telling me how fresh they were and how they had just arrived. Fresh seafood, here in Delhi, I wanted to tell him ‘we are not at sea side my friend it can’t be fresh’. Nonetheless I bought some of those beautiful small prawns; if at all they had just arrived it did mean getting as close to fresh as we can here in Delhi.
Enough justification that is, but I would sure do the vegetarian version of Stuffed Bell pepper someday soon. But today in my kitchen it was about Bell Pepper stuffed with Rice and Shrimps sauce.
Stuffed Bell Pepper with Rice and Shrimps Recipe:
- 3 red or yellow bell pepper, cut to half lengthwise and de-seeded
- 5 medium spring onions, cut to half lengthwise and finely sliced along with greens
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chili
- ½ cup (uncooked) basmati rice, cooked but not too soft
- ½ cup cleaned Shrimps (Small Prawns)
- 1 and ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon green chili sauce or chili jalapeno sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Dry thyme for flavor
- Olive oil
- Marinate the shrimps in lemon juice and two pinch of salt and keep aside. Also sprinkle some salt over the bell peppers.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan; add two finely chopped garlic cloves and sauté till golden.
- Add half the diced spring onions, sprinkle salt and pepper. Add the cooked rice and fry for 5 mins.
- Sprinkle dry thyme, mix well and keep aside in a bowl.
- Add a little more olive oil to the frying pan, crush the remaining garlic and chili (best done on a mortar and pestle) and add to the hot oil.
- Sauté for a minute and add the remaining spring onions and fry for another minute.
- Add the shrimps and fry till it just turns golden pink. One has to be careful as overcooking shrimps makes it chewy, only a minute or two would be enough.
- Add the sauces one by one, starting with balsamic vinegar, then soy sauce, then fish sauce and finally chili sauce.
- Then mix the corn flour in a half a cup of water and pour into the sauce. Add another cup of water and reduce the entire sauce to half the quantity.
- Sprinkle salt to taste and some black pepper and remove from the stove.
- Now fill each bell pepper with fried rice, press it down so that it settles to make room for the shrimps. Now first only place the shrimps from the sauce over each bell pepper pocket in equal quantity.
- In a baking dish place each bell pepper pockets side by side and pour the sauce generously over and around the bell peppers. Do retain about 3-4 tablespoon of sauce for final dressing.
- Preheat the microwave at 250o C for 5 mins and bake the Stuffed Bell peppers for 20 minutes at 250 o C choosing the microwave plus convection option.
- Finally dress up with the remaining sauce and enjoy hot.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Replace shrimps with tofu for a vegetarian version.
- Top up with a little Feta or Parmesan before baking if you like. I don’t like cheese and sea-food mixed so I didn’t.
- I am only reiterating do not over do the Shrimps while frying.