Steamed Mango and Yogurt Cheesecake Recipe:
A traditional Bengali dessert “Bhapa Aam Doi” turned into a Mango yogurt Cheesecake.
Good variety of Dashari Mangoes is now selling in the market; the unfailing sweetness with a mild fragrance of this variety makes it one of my absolute favorite. Thanks to this late summer variety for we can relish our favorite fruit for a little longer on its own and in our favorite desserts.
I had prepared this dessert the day before leaving for Kathmandu, but could not find time in between my packing to post it. The recipe essentially is a traditional Bengali ‘Bhapa Aam Doi’ that has been given a chick makeover in my experimental kitchen. Frankly I wasn’t too sure how will it come about unless we finally had it, and it was an absolutely delightful find and I had to share this one here. Actually this traditional ‘Bhapa Aam Doi’ recipe had been on my mind for quite some time but as I set to make it the idea of giving it a Cheesecake look came upon me and I gave it a go. I did not play with the traditional flavours but just added a thin cookie crust at the base and the steam cooked the entire thing the traditional way. The result was a delightful surprise, for the soft and mellow sweetness went quite well with the sweet and salt cookie base. Give it a go and you won’t be disappointed I assure you.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
For the Cookie base:
- 4-5 large digestive biscuits (you may use any cracker)
- 4 dried figs
- 8 almonds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4th tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the Aam Doi:
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1 cup mango pulp
- 1/4th cup condensed milk
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup peeled cubed mangoes to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
Preparing the base:
- Blend all the ingredients together except the butter into the thick powdery consistency. Then add the butter and just blend one or two times.
- Now wrap the base of an 8” remove bale base tart or cake pan. Press down the cookie mixture at the base and cover with a cling film and keep in freezer to set for about ½ an hour.
Preparing Aam Doi:
- In a deep mixing bowl blend the yogurt with sugar to taste till smooth. Then add the condensed milk and mango pulp and blend again. Finally add milk and just give a gentle mix.
- Check for sugar and add more if required. Pour this mixture over the cookie base, sprinkle the pistachio saving a few for garnish. Cover the mold tightly with a plastic wrap.
- Place this mold in the upper deck of a steamer and steam cook tie the lid on for 17-20 minute. Allow it to cool and then refrigerate until chill.
- Cut into slices and serve with fresh cut mangoes and some pistachios.
Dos and Don’ts:
- You may use nay sweet flavorful variety of mangoes; Alphanso makes a good choice too.
- Just make sure it is completely chilled before serving.
- Also replace milk with condensed milk for a creamier consistency.
You may also like;