Spicy Veg Noodle Soup Recipe:
A deliciously spicy vegetarian noodle soup made using the Korean style ‘jjamppong’ recipe.
Winters seems to be around the corner, the slight chill in the air, early sunset and those fresh greens on the store shelves are all signs that we’ll soon have the eating season back. It was real treat to finally see some beautiful greens at the store and there’s no point for guessing that I bought quite a load. Broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, spring onions, carrots, all fresh and inviting ingredients calling for some heart warming recipe. The inspiration came from a famous Korean recipe called “Jjamppong”, although it is essentially a spicy seafood noodle soup with lots of veggies. I however, did an all veg-ed up variation and it turned out delicious. This warming soup is a great recipe for the winter nights, comforting and wholesome meal in a bowl.
Ps:- Although it’s an all veggie recipe but I have used fish sauce to add the much required authentic flavours. It simply uplifts the recipe but I guess pure vegetarians would have to let go of it.
- 250 gms button Mushrooms
- 250 gms Spring Onions with greens
- 200 gms Broccoli with stem
- 100 gms Zucchini
- 100 gms Carrots
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp crushed ginger
- 2 tsp red pepper pwd
- 3 tbsp veg oil
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 serves of Noodle, approx 60-80 gms
- Few Bok choy leaves, optional
- All the stalks or stems of the Broccoli above, roughly chopped
- The Bulbs of the spring onions above, roughly chopped
- Half the stalks from the mushrooms above plus 4-5 mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Red onion, roughly chopped
- 7-8 black pepper corns
- A handful of shitake mushrooms
- Add all the ingredients in a pot with 8 -10 cups of water and put it to boil.
- Once it comes to a full boil then cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes untill you are left with 6 cups of stalk. Strain and keep aside.
The Noodle Soup:
- Mix the red pepper pwd with 1tbsp of veg oil and keep aside. Chop up the veggies (preferably as shown in pic below) and keep aside.
- In a thick bottom large wok or pan heat 2 tbsp of veg oil and add crushed garlic and ginger and fry until it is brown.
- The first add broccoli and mushroom and fry for 2-3 mins, then add carrots and zucchini and fry together until the veggies are almost cooked, finally add the spring onion greens.
- Stir in the pepper-oil paste and fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 6 cups of the prepared stock; add salt, pepper and 2 tsp of fish sauce.
- Then add two serves of noodles and cook till the noodles turn soft and chewy. Garnish with sesame oil and a few fine strips of carrots and spring onions and serve warm.
Dos and Don’ts:
- If you love seafood, please do add mussels, squids, prawns after the veggies and follow the same recipe. Though you must increase the quantity of spices, chillies, ginger and garlic a little.
- Do not over cook the noodles, keep it chewy.