Spicy Raw Mango Relish (Indian-style) Recipe:
A spicy, sweet and sour raw mango relish, a household ‘Murabba-style’ recipe that can be enjoyed with breads or muffins or on its own.
The mango season is here, or shall we have to wait a little longer before naturally ripe mangoes (although that’s a rare find these days) arrive,while i’ll leave that one for you to decide I have chosen to settle with the raw ones for a while longer. The markets are aslo flooding with good, pulpy, green mangoes these days and have blended it into many different chutneys already. I knew I could do better with a little help from my Mom-in-law who is here these days, and I didn’t have to put in any effort to get her into sharing her secret ‘Khatta Meetha Aam Murabba’ recipe with us.
I got a batch of raw mangoes of the ‘sinduri’ variety, its pulpy and really tart in flavour, so here’s a take away note- do adjust sugar according to the mangoes variety you use or your own taste.
Ingredients (Makes a 600 ml bottle full):
- 700 gms Raw Green Mangoes
- 1 cup Crystal Sugar
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 dried red Chillies, whole
- ½ tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- ½ tsp black caraway or Nigella seeds
- A couple of pinches of Asafoetida pwd
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Mustard oil (or you may substitute with Ghee)
- 1 tbsp Ghee /Clarified butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash peel and grate the mango pulps and keep aside.
- Ifsrt dry roast the fennel seeds and coarsely crush them and keep aside.
- In a wok or deep skillet slowly heat the oil, both mustard and Ghee (Mustard oil adds a smoky flavour, if you don’t like it you may completely use Ghee. Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and red chilles broken into half, slightly stir untill they pop.
- Then add the coriander pwd, stir and add the entire grated mangoes. Stir fry on a medium heat for only a minute.
- Add sugar and salt and cook on a low flame untill it thickens into a thick jam like consistency. Discard the chillies and add crushed fennel seeds and black caraway.
- Allow to cool and store in a jar upto a Month, infact longer when stored in the fridge. Enjoy every now on then over breads and muffins.
Dos and Don’ts:
Hmmm lets see, just make sure to cook untill the water dries up if you plan to store it longer than a week. Excess water content may make it go stale sooner.
You may also like;