Spicy Chicken Pakodas Recipe:
Chicken marinated with Punjabi Tikka masala and fried into crunchy pakodas, a monsoon special.
To take our Monsoon snacks affair a step further I made another palate tickling snack, this one’s for all the chicken lovers. But before we get into the recipe I must say I was sad not to have any rain yesterday in Delhi. Looking at the way sky was the day before I had anticipated a downpour and so had some chicken marinated before hand to be made into my special tandori flavoured pakodas once it started pouring. Alas, the skies had some other plan it seems and we did not get even a drop of the blessed nectar. I did, nonetheless, had to make my pakodas for I had it marinated already so with a heavy heart I started making them but no sooner did the spluttering sound of hot oil hit my ears and the aroma of the pakodas filled my nostrils, my mood was restored back to its happy spirits. The delicious tiny chicken bites had come out heavenly, juicy chicken with Punjabi tikka style spices and a crispy coating, it just made my day. Try this one if it’s raining in your part of the world or even if it isn’t, just try it anyway and you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, approx 350 gms.
- 1 heaped tsp Curd/yogurt
- 1 & ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp deggi /kashmiri mirch pwd (moderately hot red chilli pwd variety)
- 1/4th tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp melted butter
For the batter and pakodas:
- ½ cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg
- A small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, approx ½ a handful
- ½ tsp cumin seed pwd
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th cup water
- 1 green chilli
- Enough oil to deep fry
- Cut the chicken into small equal size pieces. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then add the chicken cubes and allow marinating overnight or at least an hour in the fridge.
- Take out the marinated chicken from the fridge atleast half an hour before ready to cook.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and add the entire chicken along with all the marinade and stir fry on till the liquid just dries up and the chicken is just cooked through, about 3-4 mins only. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile prepare the batter by pulsing all the ingredients together in a mixer grinder or blender to make a thick and smooth batter. Check for salt, do adjust it to taste.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying and use our usual testing mechanism, drop one pakoda and if it re-surfaces almost immediately the oil is ready.
- Fry the pakodas on medium flame in batches for about 4 mins (for my approx 1.25 inch size pakodas) to a golden brown colour, and strain on kitchen tissue. Serve with your choice of dip or ketchup but we prefer to serve with a few onion rings and our classic Green Chutney (find the recipe here).
Dos and Don’ts:
- Just ensure that the batter is neither too thick nor thin and do not overcook while frying. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of chicken used.
You may also like;