Spiced Apple and Toffee Cake Recipe:
No refined sugar, apple cake with cinnamon and nugmeg flavours and Toffee topping, simply delicious!
Welcome O’ October; come to us with your freshest produce.
Not just greens but also your red juicy apple fruits.
I thank thee for your generous spree that adds to our lives an endless glee!
Ops, do excuse my pathetic attempt at being poetic but it just an expression of happiness. The cake made me happy, really happy today. I am sure you’d understand the sense of accomplishment that comes at the end of baking a soft, dense, fluffy and perfectly risen cake. This spiced apple and toffee cake recipe had been brewing up in my head for quite a long time but I guess it needed a special occasion and what could have been better than the onset of Durga Puja.
This grand Indian festival is an excuse to celebrate the warmth of togetherness, oh yes that’s how I look at festivals. Being more of a god-believing person than a god-fearing, I do not observe fasts but rather use it as an excuse to bring friends and family together and enjoy life with best of foods and talks.
Wish you a very Happy Dussehra with the sweetness of this spiced Apple and Toffee cake.
Ingredients (Serves 10-12, an 9” square cake):
- 2 medium Apples
- 2 and ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking pwd
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ the cup soft brown sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup milk, plus ¼ cup for toffee
- 3 large eggs
- 200 gms butter, plus extra for greasing
- ½ tsp cinnamon pwd
- ¼ tsp nutmeg pwd
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 toffees (any caramel toffee)
- Add 1 cup milk and raisins in a pan and bring to a boil on a low heat. Simmer for 3-4 mins and set aside to cool. Then make blend in an electric blender and keep aside.
- Preheat Oven to 180oC and grease and line a 9” square baking tray.
- Mix baking pwd, baking soda, salt and flour together in a mixing bowl. Add the nutmeg and cinnamon pwd and keep aside.
- Now blend eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until smoothly combined using an electric blender.
- Then half, core and cut the apples into thin slices, add the lemon juice and keep aside.
- Add both the raisin mixture and the egg-butter mixture to the flour and quickly mix using an electric whisk or hand held whisk until just combined.
- Scrap out the cake batter into the prepared tin and then arrange the apple spices in three rows overlapping to cover up the top.
- Bake at 180OC for 45-50 minutes in the centre of the oven or until a flat knife (or toothpick) comes out clean from the centre. Keep aside to cool on a wired rack.
- In a small pan melt the toffees with ¼ th cup milk over a very slow heat. Stir continuously until it melts. Drizzle the top of the cake generously with this melted toffee and then dust with some icing sugar. Cut into thick slices and enjoy, Bon appetite !
Dos and Don’ts:
- You may try and replace raisins with apricots or dates if you like; it should turn out equally beautiful.
- Make sure to stack apples overlapping each other to ensure that the entire cake is covered with cake on rising.
- You may use self raising flour in the same quantity, in such case you must add just ½ tsp baking pwd and no baking soda and salt should be required.