Savoury Cheese Crackers Recipe:
Savoury crackers with a hint of Cheese and Fenugreek, a perfect tea time snack.
The in-laws arrived during Dusshera and in my festive cooking mood I thought of making something for papa, who by the way is a diabetic. So I had to make something savoury for sure, and after much contemplation I arrived at baking some savoury cheese crackers that can be stored in air tight containers and enjoyed with evening tea during their stay.
A regular cheese cracker without egg was on my mind but I opened the fridge only to find another bunch of fresh green Methi (fenugreek) leaves and followed idea to infuse it with the crackers. At the end it simply turned out nice and crisp with the slight hint of both cheese and fenugreek, it’s a healthier replacement to our methi ki Mathris too for there’s no deep frying
Ingredients (Makes 20 crackers):
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup grated Cheese (I used the Britania block)
- ¼ cup chopped Fenugreek (methi) leaves
- ½ tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- ½ tsp baking pwd
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Some butter to brush on the crackers
- Preheat the oven to 200OC and line the baking tray with butter.
- Sieve the flour with some salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Then mix the grated cheese, chopped fenugreek leaves and onion seed (kalonji) into the flour.
- Mix water and vegetable oil together and add to the flour. Knead it into smooth dough.
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into 1/3 inch in thickness and cut out shapes as you like.
- Place the shapes on the baking tray and brush the top with a little melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and brush the top with a little butter, sprinkle some salt and keep aside to cool. Once cooled store in airtight container and consume within a week to 10 days.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Allow to completely cool down before storing in airtight containers.
- Adjust the baking time slightly according to the thickness of the crackers.