Pundina Paratha (Mint flavored Indian Bread):
(Makes 4-6 medium size parathas):
- 1 cup attaa (whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely diced
- 2-3 pinches of kalaunji/mangraila (nigella)
- 1 tsp of salt
- Water to knead the dough
- Ghee/Vegetable oil for the paratha
Pre -cooking Preparations:
- Make equal division of the dough and roll into round chapati
- Use a knife and cut the chapatti from outer edge to the inner end in circular stroke (making a whirlpool pattern)
- Roll up these strips from end to end making a ball and then roll it out into semi-thick paratha, rolling flat from just one side.
- Heat a flat skillet (tava) and cook each paratha using ghee/vegetable oil till they are nice crisp and golden pink.
- Sprinkle some cut mint on the parataha, flip it over on the hot skillet and serve hot with Chicken Korma(Chicken in thick Indian Style Gravy) and Coriander Chutney (sauce) recipe
Dos & Don’ts:
- You may add 2-3 bulbs of finely diced garlic if you like.
- Also some people do add carom seeds; it is believed to improve digestion.
- Do not add too much water while kneading the dough all at one go.
- Adding a little water at a time helps knead soft dough.