Prawn Cream Curry Recipe:
An authentic and delicious Bengali curry recipe, the Chingri Malai Curry.
I have always loved prawns and this is one dish, which I keep preparing for myself every now and then. Being a bong, I love this dish and can have it at any moment of the day with a steaming bowl of rice.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 200 grams of medium prawn, deveined, and smeared with salt and turmeric,
- Paste of 1 small onion,
- ½ tsp of ginger-garlic paste, (garlic remains optional),
- 150-200 ml of thick coconut milk,
- 1 tsp of coriander powder,
- 1 tsp of red chili powder,
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder,
- 3-4 cloves, roughly crushed
- 1’’ inch cinnamon, roughly crushed,
- 1 tsp of curd (optional),
- Salt to taste,
- Handful of green coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Bengalis love their fish cooked in mustard oil, so for this recipe too, you first need to fry the turmeric and salt smeared prawns in mustard oil. Keep aside once cooked.
- In the same oil, add the roughly crushed cloves and cinnamon, along with ginger, garlic and onion pastes. Fry till light brown.
- Add the powdered spices and fry for another minute or two, before adding curd and coconut milk. Stir in constantly while adding the coconut milk.
- Add salt and finely chopped coriander leaves and bring the mixture to a boil. Toss in the fried prawns and simmer for a minute.
- Serve hot with fresh sprig of coriander and a bowl of steamed rice.
You may also like;