Plum Crumble with Vanilla Icecream Recipe:
A plum and oat crumble with vanilla icecream, irresistible summer dessert, simple yet most comforting.
Plums are an easy find at gourmet store racks, we are blessed to be living in Delhi and I am repeating myself there yet again. But these really juicy red ripe plums were lying on the racks of my fav food store and they were screaming, pick me up in unison.
The smell of possibility that fills the kitchen every time there’s a crumble of any kind in the oven is intoxicating. The added hint of fragrant spices and specially cinnamon just amplifies it to many folds and makes you hungry but wait, salivating. Then comes the moment of truth, hot tart fruit, crispy sweet crumbed top, fragrant spices and you are in heaven. And then a scoop of freezing vanilla icecream on the top of the hot crumbly crunch simply makes it a perfect hot dessert on a Summer weekend. Or just get chilled fresh cream on the top and you’ll be in a dreamland I assure you.
Ingredients (Serves 2-4):
- 300 gms Red ripe plums, about 4 medium size
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Soft brown sugar, or Castor sugar
For the crumble:
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 30 gms butter, unsalted
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cups rolled breakfast oats
- 5-6 almonds, chopped
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Butter a 6″ baking dish, cut the plums into half, remove stone and cut into thick slices. Spread these plums onto the prepared baking disk.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, then drizzle the lemon juice and finally the 2 tbsp of melted butter, follow up with the cinnamon pwd and keep aside.
- In an electric mixture add the flour, salt and butter and blend until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Now mix this flour mixture with oats, Demerara sugar, almonds together. Sprinkle this crumble mixture on the top of the fruit.
- Bake at 200OC for 15 mins and then reduce temp to 180OC for another 10 mins in the center of the oven. Adjust time if required, idea is to bake until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice-cream, sprinkle a tiny amount of cinnamon pwd on top and enjoy.
Dos and Don’ts:
- It is too simple, simple but delicious and not great tips here. Try the recipe with any other stone fruit of choice, like apricots, apples.