Plantain Potato Stir Fry Recipe:
South Indian style stir fry with a combination of plantain (raw banana) & potatoes.
Since my childhood days, I don’t like eating raw banana curry. But my mother used to force me to eat it for it has 22% of Vitamin – C. Many doctors suggest that it may also be a possible food alternative for people suffering from gastric ulcer, coeliac disease and in the relief of colitis.
My mother later started cooking it along with potato, which soon turned into my favorite. Today I have only one plantain so I have combined potatoes too thinking of my mother’s recipe; of course it came out yummy!! The taste of ginger garlic paste and garam masala turned the stir fry into delicious one!!
And I promise to the mothers who worry about their children who don’t eat plantain will now eat this stir fry for the love of potatoes!!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- Onions – 1
- Green chilies – 2
- Potato -1, large
- Raw banana – 1, large
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Turmeric – pinch
- Red chilli powder – 1tsp
- Garam masala – 1tsp
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once hot, add the ingredients listed below temper and sauté for 5 to 6 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies’ and turmeric powder. Sauté till transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and mix.
- Add cubed potatoes and plantain and cook with lid on medium flame till they become soft mixing the contents once in a while.
- Reduce flame, add salt, red chilli powder and cook till the plantain and potatoes are soft.
- Remove lid and cook for another 2-3 mins.Add garam masala and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off flame and remove into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve warm with rice.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Keep stirring in middle, otherwise the curry may stick to kadai.