Pizza Margherita (Mini) Recipe:
A perfect hors d’oeuvres, fresh homemade mini whole wheat pizza margheritas.
We love pizzas, who doesn’t love them, and so we need no excuse to eat one and obviously we need none either to bake one in the food punch kitchen. Good bread, cheese, thick tomato sauce, some toppings and you are in a heaven, but then there is no denying either that the best way to eat pizza is hot, right out of the oven (the fire oven preferable ofcourse), golden bubbling cheese, ooh. So, I’ve got two rules with pizzas , either visit a great pizza joint that has a big fire oven and enjoy the real pizza or do it yourself, never order.
I believe the pizza dough is the real challenge, and that too believe me is not difficult either especially for us Indians, kneading a dough after all is a daily chore in our household. Just a little practice and we reach there; whether it’s a thin crust or a regular hand tossed, we can do it all check one here, here and here.
And when you are not in the mood to knead, just visit the nearest supermarket or the Foodhall or Nature’s Basket if you are in the metros and get some great ready to use pizza bases. That’s what I did this Sunday, dropped into the newest food superstore in the capital Foodhall, Saket for a shopping haul and grabbed these tiny whole wheat pizza bases. The idea of a simple basic pizza margherita was easy to come, one that I’ve always felt that that is the purest form of a pizza and two that it essentially calls for a whole wheat base, which I had. This hot, fresh, simple Italian pizza is such a comfort in its simplicity that words can’t describe. Thick, delicious, freshly made tomato sauce, thin whole wheat crust, loads of mozzarella cheese, fragrant basil tossed in a hot oven comes out bubbly hot and irresistible.
Ingredients (Makes 12 bite size pizzas):
- 12 mini pizza bases
- 2-3 large red tomatoes
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped, aprox 2 tbsp chopped
- A handful of basil leaves
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp dries oregano
- 2 tbsp thick tomato puree
- ¾ cup of grated mozzarella
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Chilli flakes and oregano to sprinkle while serving.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic in a blender, crack black pepper and make it into a puree.
- Sauté the chopped onions with 1 tbsp olive oil until golden and add it to the pureed tomatoes. Also add 5-6 basil leaves and puree together again.
- Reheat the same pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and add the pureed tomatoes, bring to a bubble and then simmer and let it bubble way for 5-10 mins.
- Then add the tomato puree and further reduce until it reduces to a thick spreadable sauce consistency. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add another 506 torn basil leaves and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220OC. Then arrange the pizza.
- Spread a baking sheet and dust it with plain flour, place the pizza base over it. Then divide the tomato sauce between the pizza bases and spread leaving a little space around the sides.
- Then top each with grated mozzarella, spray some olive oil on top and carefully lift the baking sheet and slip it onto a pizza stone or a baking tray and grill for 8-10 mins on the top shelf.
- Serve hot, topped with some basil leaves, chilli flakes and extra virgin olive oil.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Like already said, replace mini bases with one large 12’inch base and the ingredients would suffice.
- Adding some cherry tomatoes as a topping before baking would add an extra glam.