Pan grilled Sole Fillets with Winter Veggies Recipe:
Pan grilled Sole Fillets over warm winter veggies and a drizzle of Lemon Butter Sauce on top, heaven !
If you too are one of those who have been sweating hard at the gym, relentlessly trying to loose the extra pounds and look fab this party season than you’d sure love this recipe. I mean we do know the role of diet in getting the shape and don’t really need the instructors screaming into our ears, no carbs, high protein and blah blah! Despite his echoing monotone I can’t disagree with him so I try and find new ways to feed my foodie stomach and keep it away from getting bored of the staple salads, or boiled egg whites.
Having said all that I must also add that they are strictly my reason but you don’t really need to be in the weight loosing race to relish this recipe. It is absolutely delicious treat with the lemon butter sauce drizzle on top (I had mine without the butter sauce though), soft and melting, mildly spicy grilled Sole fillets, warm winter veggies, do you really need a reason to devour all that.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
For marinating the fish:
- 250 gms Sole Fillet (2 fillets of approx 125 gms each)
- 1 small red Onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, fine chopped
- 1 tsp brown mustard sauce
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing the pan
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
For the Lemon Butter Sauce:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 50 ml lemon juice
- Dried oregano to dress
- Salt to taste
For the Veggies on the side:
- 150 gms small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 150 gms Broccoli florets, cut into 2.5 inch florets
- 100 gms Carrots, cut to 2.5 inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
Marinating the Sole:
- Sprinkle a little salt and smear the lemon juice onto the fillets and keep aside.
- Now using a mortar and a pestle coarsely grind the chopped onions, garlic, coriander and green chillies. Then tip in the capers and mustard sauce and pestle a few more times to bring everything together.
- Mix 1 tsp olive oil into the above mixture and marinate the fillets for 20-30 mins.
The Veggies and Lemon Butter Sauce:
- To make the lemon butter sauce, in a small sauce pan add the butter, garlic and onion and then keep it on a medium fire. Bring them to a sizzle and then just slightly browned. Then add the entire lemon juice and bring it to a boil and simmer for 2 mins. Remove from heat and dress with dried oregano & a little salt.
- For the veggies all you need to do is bring enough water to immerse the veggies to a boil, add some salt and potatoes and allow it to simmer until the potatoes are almost cooked. Then add carrots and broccoli and simmer for 3 mins. Turn off heat and keep covered for 5 mins or until ready to serve to keep it warm. Strain and dress with pepper before serving.
Grilling the Sole Fillets:
- Brush a roasting pan with a generous amount of olive oil or any vegetable oil. Place the marinated fillets skin side down on a hot pan.
- Pour all the leftover marinade on the top of each fillet. Grill on skin side for 4-5 mins and then flip and grill for another 4-5 mins or until golden brown grill marks appear.
- To plate up evenly spread all the veggies onto the serving plate and arrange the fillets on the top along with all the grilled marinade. Finally drizzle the entire lemon butter sauce all over the fillets and the veggies. Serve immediately with lemon slices for extra tang.
Dos and Don’ts:
- You may have to adjust the grilling time depending upon the thickness of the fillets.
- Adding a little paprika to the lemon butter sauce could be a great idea.
- Feel free to choose your favourite winter veggies, like beans or spinach etc.