Oats Upma Recipe:
Healthy oats, carrots, tomato and onion Upma for a wholesome breakfast.
Powdered Oats replace semolina in this well known specialty. Oats are easy to use, and blend into almost any recipe, enhancing its nutritional value without compromising on taste. This perfectly textured Oats Upma with jewel colors of carrot, tomato, onion and green chilies create a gourmet delight.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 cup Oats, powdered in a mixer
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 whole dry red chilli
- 2 tbsp Split Bengal gram dal
- 1 tsp Split black beans
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1 medium Carrot, grated
- 2 Green chilies, chopped
- Water – 2cups
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Heat a clean heavy bottomed kadhai.
- Heat oil and add mustard seed, dry red chilli, split gram dal and split black beans and curry leaves. Stir on low heat till dal turns light brown.
- Add green chilies and onions. Stir on low heat till onions turn soft.
- Add chopped carrot and sauté for few minutes.
- Add water and salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 4 minutes till the dal is cooked and is no longer crunchy.
- Keeping the flame low, add chopped tomato and other vegetables of your choice.
- Add powdered oats gradually with one hand, stirring with the other hand continuously.
- Stir fry the upma for 2-3 minutes till dry. Turn off the fire and add lemon juice. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Dos and don’ts:
- You can add capsicum, sweet corn and any other vegetables for healthier recipe.