Mexican Salad with Nachos Recipe:
A quick Mexican salad with a stack of baked nachos, perfect movie time snack.
A perfect Sunday snack should be something indulgent yet quick and easy to make. A great Sunday after all is about lazing on that couch facing the television set that in all probability would be playing some old favourite movie, and a stack of something snacky-tacky. The readymade pack of chips is great but then with all the guilt that follows later we really need to balance out, did you say popcorn, nah that’s quite regular. One needs something special, how about some quick simple baked nachos and a Mexican salad. If that sounds like a plan read on to find a quick Mexican salad recipe that’s best served with crispy nachos. Now nachos you can either buy at the stores or bake (or fry) them yourself with a few tortillas.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- ½ cup sweet boiled corn
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium capsicum, red or yellow (or use half of each to add extra colour)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or extra to your liking
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- A few finely chopped coriander, optional
For the Nachos:
- 4 Flour Tortillas, cut into 6 or 8 triangles each.
- Red chilli pwd to dress
- Salt to taste
- Oil if frying or 1 tbsp butter if baking
- To bake – spread the cut tortillas on a baking tray and bake for 5 mins at 180 OC. Remove then brush the top with butter, sprinkle salt and chilli and bake again for 6-8 mins until browned. Allow to cool before serving or stacking in an airtight container.
- To Fry- heat enough oil and fry the tortillas in batches on a medium heat until golden. Strain on a kitchen tissue and immediately sprinkle salt and chilli pwd and allow cooling before serving or storing in an air tight container.
The Mexican salad:
- Brush the skin of the capsicum with a little oil and roast it over the stove until brown frill marks appear. It should take about 5 mins, allow to cool then peel of the skin and remove the seeds and pit. Chop into small squares.
- Tip all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix all the dressing ingredients together and add to the salad bowl. Mix well and serve with the Nachos.
Dos and Don’ts:
Just be careful if frying the nachos, strain out right when it is just golden as it will darken a little more with the carry over heat.