Methi Matar Malai Recipe:
Thick, mellow and creamy gravy with fresh Fenugreek leaves and green peas.
Of the two ways that we simply love eating the fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) this north Indian Methi Matar Malai recipe (Fenugreek- Green peas- Cream) is one and the other is the quintessential Methi parathas (Indian flat breads). While I’d like to share the paratha recipe too, but it’s difficult, not the recipe but the photographing process, so untill I find a helping hand with the pictures I guess lets settle with this delicious mellow thick gravy dish that’s perfect with our Naan or any other bread. The strong flavour of the fenugreek leaves is quite rightly toned down by the cream in this Methi Matar Malai recipe that can never go without getting you some compliments on the dinner table.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups of fresh fenugreek leaves, with just the tender stalk, chopped
- ¾ cup green peas
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- 1 medium tomato, blanched, peeled and pureed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 and ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli pwd
- ½ tsp cumin pwd, optional
- 1 tsp dhania pwd, optional
- 2 pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp garam masala pwd
- Wash the fenugreek leaves and then blanch it in 2-3 cups hot water with a little salt. Drain, run through cold water, drain again and keep aside.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil, add asafoetida and chopped onion. Fry till just slightly golden, then add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute on medium flame.
- Add the blanched fenugreek leaves and cook for 2 minutes, then add pureed tomatoes, red chilli, cumin and coriander pwd, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then stir in the boiled peas followed by ¾ cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for a minute, dress with salt and garam masala pwd. Allow to thicken and remove from heat.
- Finally stir in the cream and serve warm with naan.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Blanching the fenugreek leaves reduces it bitterness, which is recommended. However, if you like the stronger taste you may cook it directly.