Masala Vada Recipe:
A quick and tasty festive South Indian Vada recipe, makes for a delicious breakfast or snack!
Masala vada is a very popular snack of South India. Usually we prepare this recipe for festivals and special occasions. It is a visually satisfying and taste comforting recipe that beautifies the celebratory salver. It can be also taken as a bite with a cup of hot tea or even as a side dish for sambar rice. It is a regular street food in Andhra Pradesh and is available in most of the roadside shops and hotels. Well! Here is a very easy recipe which can be prepared even by a learner.
Ingredients (makes 25 Vadas):
- 2 cups chana dal
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 large finely chopped onion
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1tbsp mint leaves
- 8-10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the lentils and soak them for atleast 2 hrs.
- Grind the soaked and drained chana dal and urad dal to a coarse paste.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, mint leaves, curry leaves coriander leaves and salt and mix well.
- Take some of this mixture to form a lemon sized ball. Flatten it on your palm to give it a shape like a patty, repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once it is hot, reduce flame to medium and place these patties in the oil and fry them to a golden brown color.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or any chutney of your choice.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Add extra onions and coriander leaves to the vadas if you like.