Maharashtrian Kasoori Methi Chicken Recipe:
Chicken cooked in a spicy fenugreek flavoured curry, the Maharashtrian style.
Having tried the regular Kasoori methi over years, I decided to blend it in the Maharashtrian style of cooking to give it more flavor and aroma. Many have taken this recipe from me, tried it at home and are spreading it to their friends. With a slight twist in taste a new dish is always accepted by the masses. So here it goes for you guys :).
Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
- 1000 gms chicken(washed and cut into medium size pieces)
- 2-3 Onions Finely chopped
- Coriander 1 medium bunch
- Garlic cloves 20-30
- Ginger thumb long
- Oil as per need
- Salt as per taste
- Red chili powder 2 teaspoon
- 1 tbsp Chicken Masala (available at gourmet stores)
- Tomato Puree 2 Tablespoon or as per need
- Kasoori Methi Leaves dry (Fenugreek), 3/4 cup
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Clove 6-8
- Tez Patta 2-3
- Green Chili 8-10
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1 Tablespoon
- Ghee 2 Large Tablespoon
- In a blender mix ginger, garlic, Corriander Green chili and lime juice. Make a fine past and apply it to the chicken and keep for 4 hours outside the refrigerator. ( Please marinate early morning so you get to cook this by noon for lunch).
- Heat Oil in a large Wok and add mustard seeds, Tez Patta and clove.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the chopped Onions with turmeric powder and sauté till they turn translucent. You can add salt to catalyze the process of frying onions. Adding salt at early stage gives the translucency faster to the onions and the salt mixes better with other ingredients later since it coats itself on the chopped onions.
- Add tomato Puree and chili powder and stir well. Add chicken Masala and cook for a minute.
- Add the entire marinated chicken and mix well on low flame. Adjust water level as per need and cover and cook for 3 mins on high flame.
- Reduce flame and remove lid. Add the entire kasoori methi with Garam Masala and cook for another 10 mins or till the chicken goes tender.
- Remove Lid, add Ghee/Butter. Cover with Lid quickly so that not much aroma is lost and cook on medium flame for 60 seconds. Keep covered for a few minutes before serving hot with Roti/ Naan or Chapati.
You may also like,