Summery Lemon loaf cake with an extra lemony glaze, soulful comfort in every bite.
Summers and lemons go quite in unison, and when one has a beautiful wooden cake stand to flaunt then all one has to do is add the word cake to it and make a perfect trio, summery lemon cakes. It was one of the episodes of Game of Thrones where Sansa Stark is starving herself and has the audacity to refuse a slice of ever so delicious lemon cakes, how , how can she, how can anyone do that. My obsession with Game of Thrones is one matter and yet another, and of more importance here, is the love for Lemon cakes. Oh they are heavenly, soulful, comforting and delicious beyond words in every bite. It’s almost a sacrilege to deny a slice, how could you Sansa? Do excuse my absolutely illogical obsession with the TV series, but I am sure there are quite a few of you who share my addiction both to the TV series and Lemon cakes, anyone? Anyone at all??
Phew, now that you know that both, summers and the cake stand was only an excuse to bake a lemon cake, I need no longer delve on the reasons but simply tell you about this recipe here. So the sharp tang of lemons within the sweet crumbly treats is absolutely heavenly, and the extra splash of lemony drizzle at the end adds an extra refreshing touch. Well, while a round cake was the best way to flaunt the stand but while pulling out that cake pan from the shelf my eyes fell on my loaf pan that has been lying unused for far too long, so I just instead made it into a lemon loaf cake.
Ingredients (Makes 1 loaf):
- 1 and ½ cup plain flour
- ¾ th cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 medium size eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking pwd
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ th cup butter milk
- 4 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 drops vanilla extract
For the lemony glaze:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp water
- 4-5 slices of lemon, for the topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180OC. Grease the loaf pan and keep aside.
- Mix flour, salt, baking pwd, baking soda and keep aside. Now using an electric blender, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Then add one egg at a time and blend until completely mixed. Then stir in the vanilla extract and pour this mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Mix lemon juice in the butter milk. And add flour and butter milk mixtures alternately to the egg and sugar mixture. Do this in three or four batches, making sure that you start and end with flour.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, smooth out the top and bake for 45 mins to 1 hr until a cake tester comes out clean through the center.
- Leave the cake to cool down and prepare the lemony glaze meanwhile. Add the sugar and water in a sauce pan and allow simmering until sugar melts. Then add the lemon juice and the lemon slices , simmer further for 2-3 mins.
- Once the cake is cooled slightly, drizzle the lemony glaze and the place a few lemon sliced on top and the cake is ready to be served with your favorite cup of teas.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do remember the lemon slices on top is only for the eyes, it tastes quite bitter.
- You may slather some vanilla whipping cream on top for a more exotic touch.
- You may bake a simple round cake instead of a loaf.