Lemon Bars Recipe:
.Lemony, sweet, freshly baked lemon bars are gorgeous for a high tea party.
High tea, I have no plans for it but these lemon bars made me simply think about one when they came out of the oven. It’s a gorgeous piece of sweet lemony goodness, absolutely divine in each bite and such a gorgeous treat to the eyes. It’s the second time I am baking this beauty and I know I am in love once again. Its lemony sweetness is so refreshing during these rains that words aren’t enough to tell.
Now a lemon bar no work of a genius and there must be a thousand recipes online and yet I am posting mine for it’s characteristic lemony flavour, the soft crumbly short crust and a thin stiff layer of sugar on the top that keeps the soft lemon curd intact. It turns into more like a soft, crumbly, cookie than being the usual soft and jelly topped sponge.
For the Shortcrust base:
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking pwd
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup Castor sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 2 tsp chilled water
For the lemon filling:
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rind of lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180OC and grease a 20 cm square baking tin.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until it is absolutely light and airy, mix the vanilla extract.
- Mix lemon rind and baking pwd to the flour and fold it into the sugar butter cream in two batches with two tbsp of chilled water to just bring the batter together.
- It will be a loose batter, press it down at the base of the prepared tin. Even out the surface with the back of a flat spatula. Bake it for 18 mins and then allow the shortcrust to cool on a wired rack.
- While the shortcrust is cooling prepare the lemon filling. Beat the sugar and eggs together using an electric blender.
- Then stir in the lemon rind, lemon juice and plain flour. Now put the shortcrust back into the tin and pour this lemon curd over and bake at 180OC for another 18-20 mins or until it is firm on top and the filling is set.
- Allow to completely cool, cut into square or rectangular bars, sprinkle icing sugar on top and enjoy fresh lemony bars.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do not over bake or allow it to turn golden, bake only until the lemon filling sets in.
- Do try the recipe with other citrus fruit, like oranges or mandarins.
- Make sure the bars have completely cooled down before sprinkling the icing sugar.