Instant Star Murukku Recipe:
All time favourite home made crunchy South Indian snack!
Instant star murukku recipe is a simple and crunchy snack prepared with besan. My mom used to make them for our family and store them in large stainless steel canisters during Dussehra, Pongal and Vinayaka Chaturthi and other occasions. I & my sister used to take them in large canisters along with us to our hostels for they stay good for almost a month and make a great anytime snack.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 2 cup Besan flour
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Butter, melted
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix all the ingredients except oil to make it a soft dough, like you make for chapathis.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Place a star shaped disc in the murukku maker, grease the insides of the mold, and fill the mold with some of the prepared dough.
- To check if the oil is hot enough for deep frying, drop a tiny ball of the dough into the oil. If it goes down to the bottom of the vessel with a crackle and come right up, the hotness of the oil is right for deep frying.
- Reduce flame to medium and using the murukku maker press the dough directly in to the oil carefully.
- Deep fry to a golden brown color. Remove onto absorbent paper. Cool and store in air tight container.
Dos and don’ts:
- You can use ginger – green chilli paste also instead of red chilli powder.
- Do not fry when the oil is not hot enough and in too low flame as it will soak a lot of oil.
- These can be stored for a month in air tight containers.