Herbed Chicken Cheese Balls Recipe:
Flavored chicken filled with two cheeses served with julienned onion and capsicum salad
It is that sinfully favorite snack that you just can’t have enough of; you simply go on picking and popping them into your mouth one after the other. The recipe indeed is a very common and simple one but since I have my own adaptation where I flavor the chicken with some strong herbs and spices unlike the usual bland taste, my recipe becomes share worthy. Infact my true carnivore brother’s comment further encouraged me to share this one with you, he said “this is even better than what most restaurants serve, nice strong flavors but still the taste of chicken is not lost; I’ll eat all of that make some more for yourself”. What?? Make some more for yourself, don’t you know such preparations take time and that anyway is enough for two people to snack on. Anyway, I just grabbed a couple of them from the bowl in his hand saying “Teacher ne nahi sikhaya -SHARING” (Dint your teacher teach you- Sharing)
Ingredients (Makes 12 chicken balls-Serves 2-3):
- 250 gms minced chicken
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- A tablespoon full of fresh Celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/4th cup grated or crumbled cheese (I’ve used equal quantities of hardened cheddar and feta, crumbled and mixed)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 small onion
- 1 small green capsicum
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Squeeze all the liquid off the minced chicken and mix crushed garlic, celery, pepper, chili flakes and salt to taste. Then add a heaped tablespoon of all purpose flour to bind it all together, knead and let it set in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- While it sets, chop equal quantities of onion and capsicum into very fine strips, i.e, julienne them. Add the lime juice and sprinkle some salt, toss and keep aside.
- Now beat one egg and keep in bowl, spread the bread crumbs on a flat plate, divide the cheese into 12 equal parts and make small balls of cheese.
- Divide the chicken into 12 equal parts, flatten each part over your palm, make a small space in the middle by pressing with your thumb, place one ball of cheese in the space and make a round tucking the cheese inside. Repeat the same with each chicken round.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying, then pick each chicken ball, first dip in the beaten egg then roll in the bread crumb and drop into the hot oil and fry on medium heat till it turns golden brown.
- To plate up, squeeze the julienned salad and spread at the base of your serving dish and place the herbed chicken cheese balls above it and serve hot with tomato ketchup. Get lost in deliciousness as the oozing cheese melts in your mouth.
Dos and Don’ts:
- You may add flavors to suit your taste, just keep it minimal for you would not want it to overpower the chikeness of the dish.
- Do squeeze all the liquid out of the raw chicken, else it would be difficult to bind and roll later.
- Do not fry it for too long, keep a close eye and do not let the cheese ooze out while frying.