Healthy Granola Bars Recipe:
A perfectly crunchy yet chewy healthy granola bars for anytime snacking!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
I seem to be bitten by the baking bug, for my tryst with the oven did not end with the beautiful Lemon Curd Cupcakes (read about it here) yesterday, I went ahead and baked something much healthier and crunchier this time. It’s what we know as the ‘Granola Bars’. I have not been a great fan of Granola bars really, although that seem to be about to change after trying this recipe. I baked them driven by my unruly hunger that strikes at odd hours, since these are known to make for healthier snacking.
So, this healthy granola bar recipe has a decent balance of good for health ingredients ranging from oats, sesame seeds, honey, almonds and the unrefined brown sugar etc. Although I have not used any eggs here in this healthy granola bar recipe yet they turned out perfectly crunchy yet chewy in the right kind of balanced way.
Ingredients for Healthy Granola Bars(makes 15 bars, 3 by 1.8 inch):
- 1 cups rolled white oats<
- 1 puffed rice
- 2 tbsp sesame seed, slightly roasted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (non fragrant like safflower or rice bran)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 pinch of salt
- ½ -1 tsp cinnamon pwd
- 1/4th cup peanuts and almonds, slightly toasted
- 3-4 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tbsp golden raisin
- Preheat the oven to 180OC and grease a 9” square baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the puffed rice, oats, sesame seed and salt.
- Crush the toasted almonds and peanuts slightly using a rolling pin and add to the mixture along with the raisin and apricots.
- Then add the entire vegetable oil and mix well. Then stir in the brown sugar followed by honey. Stir well using a spoon to make sure that everything is well incorporated.
- Now spread the entire mixture on the prepared baking tray and press down using a flat spatula and bake at 180OC for 25 mins.
- Take it out and then press hard on the granola with a flat spatula. Bake for another 20 minutes at 160OC. Let it completely cool down before cutting into bars.
Dos and Don’ts:
- To make it a little chewier, you may add some shredded coconut. Replace half puffed rice with coconut.
- Store in an airtight container for upto a week
- Add nuts to you liking.