Healthy Cherry and Spinach Salad Recipe:
What would you do if you were gifted a basket full of farm fresh Sweet Cherries? If you are a foodie like me you would perhaps first pop in a mouthful of those beautiful red Cherries, and then smile with satisfaction at its sweet juicy freshness. So that’s exactly what I did and at the lapse of another moment I was lost in a parallel universe, thinking about the immense possibilities that the fresh, juicy ‘Sweet Cherries’ had brought along with it. It’s not that I shall turn all of it into my recipe roll, I’d rather set aside at least one half of it to be enjoyed in its own natural form. The other half of course would be well consumed as salads, jellies, caramels or toppings to many a sweet and savory dishes.
To begin with, I made myself an absolutely Gluten-free, fresh and healthy salad for lunch. The cheese in my salad was well substituted by hung curd that is prepared by hanging plain curd overnight in a muslin cloth (it is amazing as spreads or dips), therefore making my recipe totally healthy and gluten free. I simply love these fresh and light lunches when I am all by myself, here is my recipe for the gluten free Healthy Cherry and Spinach Salad.
For the Salad:
- 8-10 leaves of baby spinach
- A handful of Sweet Cherries
- 1 orange, pieces separated and their skin & seed removed
- Extra Virgin olive oil or any dressing oil of your choice
- Lemon & Salt
For the dressing:
Chili Honey Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon chili vinegar
- A pinch of salt
Sour Hung Curd Sauce:
- 1 heaped tablespoon Hung Curd (plain curd hung overnight in a muslin cloth)
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 pinch of salt
- 2 pinch of sugar (preferably powder)
- 2-3 pinches of black pepper
- 3-4 drops of lemon juice
- Whisk all the ingredients together to and make Chili Honey Dressing Sauce and keep aside.
- Separately whish all the ingredients together to make the Hung Curd Dressing Sauce, add a little water if the required. The consistency is thick but such that it can be poured over the salad.
- Blanch the spinach in boiled water with some salt for just 1 minute, take out and immediately put into the ice bath for another minute (this helps retain the colour of the greens), drain and sprinkle some salt & a couple of drops of lemon juice over it.
- Take the salad serving bowl or plate; first spread the spinach followed by a layer of oranges and finally the cherries on top.
- Dress with the Chili Honey Sauce first, then goes the Sour Hung Curd Sauce and finally a few drops of olive oil. The fresh and healthy Cherry Spinach Salad is ready. Bon Appetite!
Dos & Don’ts:
- Use any dressing of your choice, all the readymade ones available in the market work wonders only that they won’t be gluten free.
- Do not over blanch the Spinach as it will lose both its slight crunch and the color.