Healthy Banana and Dates Bread Recipe:
Whole wheat and oats banana bread with sweet dates, one of the healthiest breakfast breads.
If its health on my mind, I know am gonna fall back on this banana and dates cake recipe for years to come. Yeah, it has turned out to be one of the healthiest bread or cake recipe ever and I doubt if I’ll ever be able to bake a healthier sweet treat. I mean come on, it has got whole wheat flour, oats, dates, buttermilk, bananas and no butter at all, can it get healthier? Let me add, that although there’s no butter or margarine in the recipe the bread that we get is moist, soft , well risen and has a great texture.
While I write this one, I am reminded of a Banana and Chocolate bread I’d baked in past and I am thinking to myself why did I even need the butter back then. But then that I’d say was an indulgent variant with some chocolate and this one here is absolutely healthy bread, just the kind we need for a healthy start to the day.
Ingredients (Makes a 9″ loaf):
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ plain white oats
- 2 large overripe bananas, aprox 2/4 cups when mashed
- ¾ cup chopped stoned Dates
- ¾ cup Demerara sugar
- ¾ cup butter milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking pwd
- 1 tsp bi carbonate of sodium
- ½ tsp Cinnamon pwd
- ½ tsp salt
- Handful of raisins
- Preheat the oven to 160OC and line or grease and dust the baking tin and keep aside.
- Mix the multigrain flour, oats, salt, baking pwd, bi carbonate of sodium and cinnamon pwd and keep aside.
- Cream the eggs, sugar and overripe bananas together using an electric blender, add half the chopped dates and blend again until smoothly incorporated.
- Add the flour and butter milk in three or four batches into the banana mixture and just fold until everything is combined.
- Stir the remaining chopped dates and raisins into the bread batter and pour it into the prepared tin. Then using a spatula make some space in the centre to allow the air bubbles escape and sprinkle a little white oats on the top.
- Bake for 1hr to 1hr 10 mins, until a tester comes out clean through the centre of the bread, allow to rest in the oven for 10 mins before serving with your fav spread and milk.
Dos and Don’ts:
- The recipe can be prepared simply without the dates too.
- Add nuts and fruits of your choice to spike up the health quotient.