Grilled Avocado, Tomato and Cottage Cheese Salad Recipe:
This one’s an absolutely exotic salad, grilled avocados, tomatoes and cottage cheese salad with a sweet and tangy dressing. These avocados I had picked up with an idea of doing a nice chunky guacamole to go over some Italian bread loaf or baguette but they were not quite ripe to be mashed and made into a guacamole, but nonetheless they were just right to be made into a beautiful salad.
Buying avocados can be quite tricky at times. Last time I had just ordered them with my regular vegetable guy over the phone after he insisted that he’s got a fresh stock with him and somewhat proudly declared that he’s selling a lot of exotic herbs and vegetable these days. I did have my doubts for I like to pick my vegetables myself, but once in a while keeping a phone delivery option comes handy, anyway the avocado that was delivered was quite firm and seemed not quite ripe. My doubts did prove right though for on cutting it was quite hard and bitter in taste; both of the avocados I’d ordered finally went into the bin. While I did already know that raw avocados taste bitter and it is imperative that we pick ripe avocados but that’s the occasional price we have to pay for the convenience of home deliveries. To pick avocados I choose the one without scars and then gently press the fruit with my palm, if it feels firm but not hard and my fingers on applying a little pressure are only making a very soft dent, I know it’s quite right, neither unripe nor over-ripe. Well, that’s just a bit of my experience I thought of sharing for you might find it useful, perhaps.
Coming back to my salad, here’s the quick recipe try it yourself and know what I mean by a blast of refreshing taste.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 Avocado, ripe, 200 gms approx, cored, peeled and cut to thick slices
- 2 medium size firm tomatos, cut to thick round slices
- 100 gms fresh Cottage Cheese, cut to square slices, medium thick
- A bunch of fresh lettuce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Some extra virgin olive oil
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Toss cut avocados and tomatoes with some olive oil and a pinch of salt. Also sprinkle some salt over the cut cottage cheese slices.
- Heat an open grill to high and grill avocados on each side for only a minute or two to get the nice grill lines.
- Strain back in a bowl and toss with some lemon juice and keep aside. Now also grill the cottage cheese slices and the tomatoes on the hot grill. Cottage cheese may take a minute or two longer but be careful not to let the tomatoes go soft, remove quickly.
- Treat the greens, arugula or lettuce, with salt and lemon juice and coarsely chop or tear them and spread over your serving dish.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dressing ingredients together till they emulsify.
- Now fist place the tomatoes over the greens and then follow up with cottage cheese and finally avocados. Drizzle the honey vinegar dressing all over and enjoy fresh.
Dos and Don’ts:
No intelligent advices really, just don’t grill the avocado or tomatoes for too long. And go ahead and use your own favourite dressing over the salad.