Green Peas and Broccoli Soup Recipe:
A thick fresh green peas and broccoli soup served with cheese toasts.
We had a great bonfire party (get-together) to kiss goodbye to the eventful year that was 2012. I call it a get-together for it was a last moment plan, at about 5.00 in the evening we decided to call just a couple of close people ,arrange for some firewood and enjoy an ordered dinner around the bonfire. But, the idea spread like a fire in the forest and by 10 p.m there were good 22 people, dancing and humming to some fine tunes on guitar, around the bonfire that we had arranged on our rooftop. Trust our bonfire idea was too attractive to resist and why not, with the mercury stooping to the lowest of the season bonefire was irresistable. It was fun indeed to be stepping into another eventful year with a bang.
I am excited about this another year of my life, like always this one’s about many new dreams, new hopes, new courage, new aspirations, new journeys, new achievements. While, all of it will unfold in the days to come, I pray that with each passing day I grow a little wiser, practice compassion, be more humble. Amen!
Ps:- My first post this year is a healthy bowl of green pea and broccoli soup. I love it this chilly winter evening and also what can be a better start than a healthy one.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- ½ cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 small spring onion, chopped along with the greens
- 2 cups chicken or any vegetable stock
- 2 small bay leaf
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 green chillies
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh cream, optional
- ½ cup chicken cubes for topping, optional
- Salt, pepper and dry cumin powder to dress
- Any bread, I used regular sandwich loaf
- Cheese, pick your favourite
- Make a paste with garlic, ginger and chillies.
- Slowly heat a sauce pan, add butter followed bay leaves, ginger-garlic paste and fry only for a minutes until it sizzles.
- Then add chopped onions and broccoli, season with some salt and cover cook for 1-2 mins.
- Strain ½ of the fried broccoli and onions; chop them a little smaller to be used as topping. Also, discard the bay leaves.
- To the remaining veggies add entire fresh green, season with salt and add 2 cups of chicken stock bring to a boil and let it simmer cook until the peas are just tender and bright.
- Optional: If adding chicken as a topping, just cook the cubes over a pan with little salt, butter and black pepper.
- At this stage, slice the bread, top up with a whole load of your favourite cheese and put it in a hot grill until the bread is golden and the cheese melts all over.
- One the peas are cooked through, use a blender and puree it. Add some more stock or water if the consistency needs to be reduced. Taste and season according to taste with salt pepper and roasted cumin powder. If using cream, stir it in at this stage.
- Top with the broccoli and spring onions set aside and serve hot with the grilled toast. Do add the chicken cubes as well, i.e if you wish to.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do add a dollop of butter before serving, if you wish.
- You may use the frozen peas but the fresh ones are always preferred.
- Do not overcook the peas, cook till it is just soft and still bright green. Overcooking will spoil both the colour and taste.
You may also like;