Green Chili Pepper Poppers Recipe:
An easy-cheesy Green Chili Poppers with two tangy dips.
The fresh big green chili peppers are swarming the market in abundance these days, this hybrid variety is very slightly hot and makes a perfect choice for a delicious cheese stuffed poppers Well, by this point I am sure you are wondering why I am not simply calling it Jalapeno poppers but I can’t for these are not jalapeno peppers I have used here, although my recipe is indeed a close adaptation of the better known jalapeno poppers. The poppers make absolutely delicious snack especially for those who love cheese, crunch, fried and savory I do feel that these would make a good finger snack during this party season, though simple and easy recipe to prepare but has a delicate texture and the extra oomph with cheese oozing out in each bite.
Ingredients (Makes 6 poppers):
- 6 Green Chili Pepper
- 150gm Cheddar or Parmesan, grated
- 1 medium spring onion, very finely diced along with some greens
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 gm bread crumbs
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 egg
- Oil to deep fry
For yoghurt mustard dip:
- 2 tbsp thick yoghurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard sauce
- 1-2 pinch fine sugar
- Salt to taste
For tangy vinegar dip:
- 5-6 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp fine brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp fine diced fresh coriander leaves
- 4-5 drops extra virgin olive oil
- Slit each Pepper across the length and de-seed carefully to ensure that you don’t wide open the slit. To remove any excess seed just submerge in a warm water bath for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the chilies and spread to dry out excess water off.
- In a medium bowl mix grated cheese, chopped spring onions, dried thyme, 2 pinch salt, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil using a spatula, only give 2-3 gentle whisks trying not the make it into a dough but instead keeping loose.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and mix corn flour with bread crumbs and spread in a flat tray, keep them aside.
- Divide the cheese mixture in 6 parts and stuff each pepper using a spoon and press the slits together by slightly pressing with your hand. Then first dip in the beaten egg and then generously roll over the bread crumbs and keep tray.
- Repeat with each pepper and then keep them in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to set.
- In the meanwhile, make the two dipping sauces by whipping all the ingredients of the two dips respectively till they emulsify and keep aside.
- Heat enough oil over medium flame and deep fry each stuffed pepper until golden. Strain on a tissue towel and serve hot with the dips.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do skip my dips and serve with ketchup or mayo dip if you like.
- Do ensure that the oil is hot before dropping the peppers else the crispy coat will all scatter in the oil.
- Do not cut off the stems from the peppers, they come handy while dipping and rolling in the crumbs.