Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe:
A hot aromatic Ginger lemon infused Green Chicken Soup.
Can’t believe its November already, where did my year go. It’s now the time of year when most of you must be contemplating your next year’s resolution and I am still struggling to begin executing my plans for this eventful year.
Oh! I always get panic stricken around this time of the year, but then usually console myself with the words “Time is Fleeting” and also that “There’s always a next time year”. I sure deserve to be crowned “Ms Lazy”, a crown (never mind the title) at least would be some solace for I have known since childhood that “Time and tide awaits none”. And once again, it’s proved that Mom was right in quoting that often and its November already. And that Delhi is all foggy and cloudy over last couple of days and that I am already into the soupy winter mood. That also means taking one step towards one of my resolutions, that said- better get back in shape.
With the winters knocking at the door, it’s time for mufflers, cozy cuddles, spiced teas, running nose and hot soups. Let’s begin this soupy season with a healing bowl of Ginger lemon Chicken Soup. It’s simple yet packed with flavours that keep you craving for more and more.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- ½ cup chicken, cut to small piece
- 4 cups chicken stock , click here for recipe
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 spring onion, fine chopped along with the greens
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A handful of ginger, sliced into thin long strips
- A tiny bunch of lemongrass
- 5-6 springs of fresh corriander
- Salt & Pepper to dress
- To the chicken pieces add salt and pepper and a drop of oil and set aside.
- Put chicken stock in a pot over low flame, add the chopped spring onions, just smash the garlic clove with your palm and add to the broth along with the ginger strips.
- Tie the lemongrass bunch with a clean cotton thread (makes it easy to discard later) and drop into the broth.
- Now heat a non-stick pan and roast the chicken pieces for 5 minutes till golden on the outside. Then add these chicken pieces to the boiling chicken broth.
- Now, using a mortar and pestle make a coarse paste of the coriander leaves and add it to the broth.
- Carefully discard the garlic cloves and lemongrass. Also remove some of the ginger strips, approx half of them.
- Once the broth had reduced to approx 2/3rd quantity then add salt to taste, the entire lemon juice and crack some pepper before removing from the heat.
- Serve hot dressed with some fine cut strings of spring onion, ginger and a spring of coriander. Perhaps a dollop of butter if you like.
Dos and Don’ts:
Well now, just adjust the amount of lemon juice or ginger juice or the dressing for that matter to suit your taste. You may add some extra coriander for a more intense green colour.
You may also like;