Fruity Custard Trifle Recipe:
A delicious sponge cake, custard, jelly and strawberries combined into a oerfect dessert.
A great and colourful dessert that makes for a colourful and tasty ending to a meal.
In this recipe, I used a small sponge cake, but the recipe works equally well with sponge finger biscuits.
For Sponge Cake:
- 62.5 g Margarine
- 100ml Castor Sugar
- 2.5ml / ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 250ml / 1 cup self raising flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 100ml milk
For the Trifle:
- 2 Tablespoons / 30ml Strawberry Jam
- 2 Cups Custard
- 250ml / 1 cup cream
- 2 Cups / 500ml Jell
- Fresh strawberries
The Sponge Cake:
- Preheat the oven at 200OC
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla essence, and egg and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the sifted flour, alternating with the milk.
- Spoon into a greased pan, and bake at 200°C for approximately 15 to 20 minutes (or until golden and firm).
Arranging the trifle:
- Once cooled, cut up the sponge cake to line the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread the Strawberry Jam over both sides of the cake.
- Make a bowl of Jelly, and allow cooling (but not thickening) before pouring over the cake base. I used a mango flavoured jelly but Strawberry Jelly is also a very nice combination.
- Allow the Jelly to set over the cake.
- Next, make the custard. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to make the custard too thick, but the recipe actually is better with thin custard, which has been set and chilled.
- Spread the custard over the set jelly. Finally whip the cream, and spread the final layer over the custard.
- Finally decorate the pudding with some fresh strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberries with some icing sugar for a professional finish.