Fried Ice-cream with Caramelized Mangoes:
Aren’t mangoes the best things about summers? Well I totally think so, as a matter of fact the only reason why I look forward to this season is for its bounty of juicy Fruits, and Mangoes top the chart.
Well so yesterday when I saw those golden & luscious mangoes at the market, I had to buy a bulk load. Walking my way back home I was so very excited by an ‘idea’, it instantly tickled my sweet tooth (I hope it excites you just as much), only moments later I realized I was smiling split wide open all to myself with some jerks staring at me. I blushed and hurried back home walking two steps at a time.
The idea was to do a dessert that would be called “Fried Ice-cream with Caramelized Mangoes”
It was inspired by the “Fried Ice-creams” that we had drooled over at a street food stall in Thailand, during a summer- holiday last year. With no clue of their recipe I was simply depending on my taste buds and the flavor that has lingered on my palate to pull this dessert together, but the caramelized mango topping was completely my idea. At the end, in all modesty I can say that my fried ‘ice-cream with caramelized mangoes’ was a delicious hit, definitely at par with our Thai- experience if not better. ‘He’ tossing down two full serving in one go, was a testimony to the fact that the dessert was definitely a hit and worth a try. Would love to know how you liked it, in case you try it??
Ps- I totally missed that I equally love summers for it comes as a handy excuse for some amazing holidays.
Fried Ice-cream Recipe:
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- A cup of All purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon powder Sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Vanilla Ice-cream
- Oil for frying
- Sieve flour, sugar together in a bowl, add melted butter and knead into soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in a silver- foil and keep in a cool dry place to rest for at least ½ an hour.
- Divide the dough into small equal size balls.
- Roll each ball into round flat sheets till they are visibly transparent; approx 4 “each.
- Keep a tray sprinkled with some loose flour ready
- Place a scoop of Vanilla ice-cream in the centre of the sheet one at a time.
- Seal the edges quickly folding towards the centre (like the way we do for dumplings), place it in tray and immediately into the freezer covering up with a cling film.
- Repeat the process with other sheets and keep adding them to the tray in the freezer. We need to be really quick all this while only to avoid the ice-cream from melting & oozing out of the cover.
- Let it freeze for good 2-3 hrs or more (it can be kept in the freezer and enjoyed for at least a week).
- Just when you are ready to have the dessert, heat your favorite frying oil in a deep frying pan.
- Take the frozen ice cream out & immediately into the hot oil. Fry for just about 15 seconds and strain onto the serving bowl.
- Dress up with Caramelized Mangoes and serve immediately.
Dos & Don’ts:
- Please be very quick with the entire process of filling the dough with ice-cream, sealing the packets and stuffing it in the freezer.
- Choose any other flavor of ice-cream & match up the caramelized fruit with it and enjoy.
- Don’t roll the dough thick at all, for if you do that the cover may remain un-cooked while quick frying. And, also you know what will a delayed frying do – all the precious ice-cream would ooze out into the oil.
You may also like;