Flaxseed Whole-wheat Crackers Recipe:
Healthy flaxseed whole wheat crackers for anytime time guilt free snacking.
It was while kneading the dough for my crackers that the thought crossed my mind, are my recipe serving sizes generally too small for you. We are a family of just two and since so much of cooking happens in my kitchen I usually make in small quantities so as to have room for a new experiment every now and then.
But in case you are a bigger family you may just double or triple each ingredient to match the no of people you are serving, I do regularly add the number that my quantity serves and I hope that helps. Do write to me if you feel otherwise about this recipe here or any other recipe for that matter.
Anyhow, these crackers here are an outcome of my effort to include the flax seeds into my diet. Now adding a dash to the salad every now and then is quite common but to increase the dosage we need something more indulgent, nothing better then turning it into an anytime snack on recipe. So I just made these healthy whole wheat and flax seed crackers and was really delighted with the sound of its crackle in my first cracking bite. These whole wheat flax seed crackers tasted delicious with the hummus (click here for recipe), I could almost get addicted to it, but that’s great isn’t it!
- 1 heaped cup whole wheta flour
- 2 and ½ tsp olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp grated low fat strong cheese
- Salt to taste (aprox 1 levelled tsp)
- Sieve wheat flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the remaining ingredients except flax seeds and rub them well by using the palm of your hand. You may blitz it in a mixer.
- Then add the flax seeds and mix well, the flour would start to look like bread crumbs. Then knead it into dough with water and leave on for ½ hr-45 min.
- Preheat the oven to 180OC. Divide the dough into two parts, roll out each into a flat round over a baking sheet (makes it easy to transfer to the tray), aprox 1/4th inch thin.
- Transfer this rolled out round onto the baking try (along with the sheet) cur out into shapes of your choice, brush some olive oil on the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden and crisp. Allow to rest on the wired rack for aprox 10 mins. Enjoy crackling crackers anytime preferably with this rosemary hummus.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Adjust baking time depending on the thickness of the crackers you roll.
- You may try these crackers with some sesame too.