Fish Schnitzel with Beans in Hoisin Sauce Recipe:
Crispy Sole Fillet Schnitzel served over a bed of beans tossed in spicy garlicky hoisin sauce.
Some recipes are so rewarding that even a chatterbox like me can fall short of words to describe it, and this Fish Schnitzel with beans in hoisin sauce recipe sure qualifies as one of them. The soft flakey fish inside a crispy outer crust over a bed of spicy hoisin sauce gravy prepared with lots of garlic and served with some healthy beans, a delight booth for the eyes and the palate.
The inspiration for the recipe was derived from the Hunan grilled Fish we’d relished during a recent lunch at Mamagoto (read our review here), a taste that simply lingers on. It’s a recipe that will equally impress the conscious dieter and the spoilt foodie , all the healthy beans and fish, a golden crispy coat but not deep fried, a sauce with only a little amount of oil yet spicy and intense, seriously do we really need anything else in a delicious meal.
Ps-I recommend or prefer white boneless fish fillet, say trout or sole, though I am sure one can create a similar magic with any other variety of the fillet, infact the same recipe would taste good with the chicken schnitzels too I reckon.
Ingredients (Serves 1):
For the schnitzel:
- 2 Sole or trout fish fillets, aprox 200 gms
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp eaped, bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beated
- 1-2 tbsp oil, try olive oil
- 1 tsp white rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For the beans in spicy Hoisin sauce:
- 80-100 gms fresh beans, tips chopped off
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce, available at gourmet stores
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 small spring onion, chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil/ or olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Start by treating the fish fillets with the vinegar and dress with a little salt and pepper and keep aside until you prepare the sauce.
The beans in spicy Hoisin sauce:
- Blanch the beans in hot water with a little salt and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a small pan, add the chopped garlic, ginger and the spring onion whites and let them sizzle.
- Then add the red chilli flakes. Quickly mix the hoisin sauce with lemon juice and 3-4 tbsp water and add to the pan. Simmer for just a minute to get a thick sauce, remove from heat add the spring onion greens and dress with salt to taste, keep aside.
- Spred the flour and bread crumbs on the work surface or a deep dish. First dust each treated fillets with the flour, then dip into the beaten eggs, allow the excess egg to drip off then fold the fillets in the bed of bread crumbs. Gently tap and coat the fillets with the crumbs completely all over, repeat with both the fillets and keep aside.
- Now heat a tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan.and cook the crumbs coated fillets for a minute on each side, grill on high flame until it is just golden crispy on each side.
- To serve, toss the blanched beans in the prepared hoisin sauce and spread on the base of the serving plate, then place the fish schnitzels on the top, drip all the excess sauce all round and serve.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do try the recipe with chicken, simply flatten out the breast pieces and cook for aprox 3 mins on each side. Marinating the chicken for atleast ½ and hour will be great idea.
- The fillets can be coated and kept in the fridge overnight; even the sauce can be prepared in advance. Just blanch the beans, warm the sauce, and cook the schnitzel and arrange before serving.foo