Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
Real dark chocolate cookie loaded with Chocó-chips baked at home.
How do you like your chocolate cookies, dark, extra dark or mild?? I prefer a nice dark chocolate cookies that’s not too too sweet. Sweetness is the catch which often makes it difficult to find me my perfect bite. No complains anymore for I can make some of them myself in my kitchen with just the right amount of cocoa and sugar. Yes, I did make some nice dark, not too dark, chocolate chip cookies without over the top sweetness at the convenience of my home. Here goes the recipe, do give it a try and the best part, add or reduce cocoa and sugar to make yourself the cookies that you love.
Ingredients (Makes a stack of 20 cookies):
- 1and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup soft chilled unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoon while crystal sugar
- 2 tablespoon light brown crystal sugar
- 4 tablespoon ice water
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon castor or icing sugar approx, to sprinkle on top, optional
- In bowl whip together the brown and white sugar with the egg white. Use your electric blender or a fork but whip till all the sugar is dissolved and a thick creamy texture is formed.
- Then add the softened butter and whip for another 5 minutes.
- In separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder together and make space in the centre and pour the egg-sugar-butter mixture.
- Fold in the flour and make crumbly soft dough, add a tablespoon of ice water at a time and further knead into soft and supple dough. Do not worry it would remain loose and not bind like regular dough, but that’s fine.
- Now spread aluminium foil or cling film on your work surface and place the dough over it forming it into a round log of the diameter that you want your cookies. Carefully wrap the foil or film all around it and tightly twist the ends.
- Refrigerate the log till firm, approx 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven at 180O and line the baking tray with butter paper.
- Use a sharp knife and slice the log into thin equal size cookies, approx 1 cm each.
- Place the cookies on the baking tray about an inch apart, now cover up the surface of each cookie with chocolate chips and gently dab with your palm.
- Sprinkle a pinch of castor or icing sugar over each cookie and bake at 170o for 20 minutes till the edges of the cookies pop. Let it rest for 5 minutes and remove from the oven and allow cooling down to room temperature. Keep in an airtight container and enjoy for a week to 10 days.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Reiterating – add or reduce cocoa and sugar quantities to suit your taste.
- You may even refrigerate the dough log overnight.
- Do not knead into tight proper dough, keep it loose.
- Do not try to cut into slices unless the dough log is absolutely firm, else it will crumble away. In case you’ve reach there anyway, just knead, roll, wrap and regrigrate again till real firm this time.