Crispy Sesame Tofu and Pasta Salad Recipe:
A healthy Sesame Tofu and Tagliatelle salad with a sweet, tangy and hot dressing.
The salad days are here and it’s now time that nothing but some refreshing salads would satisfy our appetite. Wonder if it’s just me or the scorching sun and heat leaves you too craving for light and fresh food, especially for lunches.
Salads serve to be my best bet, besides being both refreshing and light its helps me add healthy food to my diet. Now while summers are long here in our part of the world I keep playing with the ingredients and varieties for salad to ensure that I don’t get bored by the monotony of only raw-crunch-crunch. Adding some pasta or grilled meat or paneer or even better the tofu to the salads simply uplifts it by a notch and makes it more interesting and wholesome meal for the ravenous stomach.
I made this really appeasing salad for lunch yesterday all for myself, unlike a regular quick salad this one was little extensive indeed, but the sweet, tangy and hot punch in my mouth made it all worthwhile. Read on to find the recipe for my Crispy Sesame Tofu with Pasta Salad.
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 200 gm Tofu (I like a little spiced cumin tofu available at most stores these days)
- Approx 100 gms pasta (Spaghetti or Tagliatelle)
- 2 heaped tbsp white sesame
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 spring onion, bulbs chopped and greens cut to round rings
- 2 fresh red chillies, diced
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Castor Sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp water
- Salt and Pepper to dress
- Cut the tofu horizontally into two slabs, dust the two pieces with bread crumb on both the sides followed by sesame. Gently tap sesame on all sides and press gently with the palm.
- Dice the vegetables and cook pasta till its al dente’ according to instruction given on the packet with a little salt and oil in boiling water. Strain and run through cold water and keep aside.
- Mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, castor sugar, 1 tsp water and 2/3rd of the chopped red chillies together. Stir well and keep aside.
- Now heat 1 tsp sesame oil and sauté the remaining chopped chillies and spring onion for just a minute on high flame.
- Put the pasta in the serving plate and add the sautéed veggies over the pasta saving just a little for a final garnish.
- Again heat the remaining sesame oil in the same pan and sear the tofu until golden crisp on both sides, approx 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Top the pasta with the tofu and pour the dressing all over it, garnish with the saved spring onions and serve.
Dos and Don’ts:
What can I say, be just a little cautious while cooking the pasta. It’s quite easy to over-cook the pasta but that spoils any recipe, so be careful and turn off the stove while the pasta is still hard to touch but just starts looking cooked. Al dente’ is the word here !
You may also like;